Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dynasty 200DX and Millermatic 211 power pig tail.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynasty 200DX and Millermatic 211 power pig tail.

Please help, I have a Dynasty 200DX and Millermatic 211 both as you probably know both of them fly on 110V and 220V I need help with a pig tail for them both. The 211 came with a plug adapter that looks like a huge standard three prong 110V. Nothing at my place has a socket like it.
    So, if I just use a regular 110V plug on the end of the main wire from the machine and then make a pig tail that has the female for the 110V at one end and a 220V plug at the other, it should work. The two hot lines go back into the 110V plug and the machine takes care of the rest. Am I correct. Thanks for any help given.
    Cheers,
    James.

Changing the plug adapter on the end of the cord on the Millermatic 211 is what links the primary on the machine to the correct voltage. If you have the 110 volt plug on the end of the Millwermatic 211's power cord and apply 230 volts to it you will damage the unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Miller Kevin View Post
      Changing the plug adapter on the end of the cord on the Millermatic 211 is what links the primary on the machine to the correct voltage. If you have the 110 volt plug on the end of the Millwermatic 211's power cord and apply 230 volts to it you will damage the unit.
      Would you care to elaborate on that a bit??
      I really wonder how you could screw that up?

Comment

Fusion,

Well it happens just like James was asking if he could do.

James question: "So, if I just use a regular 110V plug on the end of the main wire from the machine and then make a pig tail that has the female for the 110V at one end and a 220V plug at the other, it should work"?

Having the 110 volt plug on the end of the power cord links the unit for 110 volts. Then you take an extension cord and put a 110 volt recepticle on one end and plug the machine into it, on the other end of the extension cord you put a 230 plug and plug it into a 230 volt recepticle on the wall. *DO NOT DO THIS* it is not good for the fan motor, the control transformer or the main control board.

Comment

The 211 comes with a 15 Amp 110 volt adapter and a 50 Amp 220 volt adapter, there is also a 20 Amp 110 volt adapter available for it.
          They are keyed to fit the Miller welder power cord (MVP).
          If you need to use an extension cord, size it according to which adapter you are using (15Amp, 20Amp, for 100 Volt and I just bought a 25 ft 8 Guage extension cord for the 220 volt adapter.
          I can't tell by looking at the Dynasty, what kind of end is on the power cable but don't try to bypass the design and end up destroying something.
          If you need a 20 Amp 110 Volt circuit, try to get someone to help you install one, if you don't know how to do it yourself.
          I wired 15 Amp, 20 Amp receptacles for my 110 volt welder and use NEMA 6-50R receptacle for the 220 volt, with a 40 Amp circuit breaker. I still hear some confusion on the correct size of breaker to use for the 211.
          Last edited by ligito; 04-13-2009, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jmpgino View Post
            ...The 211 came with a plug adapter that looks like a huge standard three prong 110V.....
            That's a NEMA 6-50 and it's 240V only, up to 50A amps continuous.

Comment

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ad.php?t=17065

he ain't answered his other post- maybe he blowed hisself up

Comment

Originally posted by ligito View Post
                I still hear some confusion on the correct size of breaker to use for the 211.
                What does the manual state?

Comment

It's too ambiguous for me to tell.

Comment

Originally posted by ligito View Post
                    It's too ambiguous for me to tell.
                    The manual states the MAX breaker to use when using the Minimum sized wire for a dedicated Welder receptacle.

If you want to wire up a 40amp Circuit or use it on a 40amp circuit no problem but you have to use the correct wire to match the 40amp CB.

Comment

What I read from Miller Kevin's note is that the 211 power supply does not "just take care of it" like my older Maxstar does.

It sounds instead like the MVP cord and adapters change the connections into the power supply of the machine - likely they are running an additional conductor in the cord that is only used in the 110V application.

If the OP wants to run on 230, he needs to use the 230 MVP adapter and make his pigtail up to work with that.

I wonder if all the MVP products work that way now?

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.