Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

a fishmouth?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the chop saw trick works very well. i had to go and try it. good fit up, i had to grind only a little to get the angles. i am putting in a hand rail and the angle is 32 degrees of the slope. but it is a ton faster than grinding the fish mouth completely. thanks guys

Comment

Here's a site that shows how to cut tube notches with a chopsaw. Also there is a chart that lists pipe size and the angle to cut them.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Links/
      Hope this helps
      Larry

Comment

I had to read this just to find out what a fishmouth is. Out west we call them saddles. I figured out the chopsaw trick building something out of exhaust pipe one day (can't recall what it was). Up until then I had always used my torch. My dad taught me how to cut them freehand as a kid. Works pretty good up to about 6 inch, after that you need a pattern. Need a good tip on the torch too.

The only notcher I ever used was for angle iron up to 1/4 X2 X2 and had a built in bender. Talk about whip out frames.

Comment

I thought about getting a Lowbuck or other notcher like that. If I had a million of them to make in the field, that might be the way to go....but then I already had the saw and saw the technique demonstrated..liked it...went with it. So far, it has paid for itself many times over. The side joins can get a bit big if you have the wrong angle. Sometimes it may take a couple of test cuts to fine tune the cuts...but after that, it is fine.

Yup, Bert, it cuts many, many metal.....I guess.

Comment

i use my chop saw most of the time, but like you said it can take a Little playing around to get it right. my plasma cutter is also a good way to make a nice fit, but its way more $$ than the others.

Comment

LarryM, thanks for the link.
              Jolly Roger, do you have any drawing or pics of that???

Comment

Working...
              X
              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.