Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

control arm tube insert welds

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• control arm tube insert welds

here are a few pics of the tube inserts I was having trouble with the threads gauding.....I used the anti splatter spray on em' & it worked like a champ!

O! tig welds were done with my Maxstar 200 STR 1/16" root let it fully cool & then a 1/8" cap. As you can see some of the welds aren't capped yet----ran out of Argon

Comment

Nice welds!

Why did you make the arms adjustable?

Comment

great looking welds. what are you making ? do we get a full pic of the complete toy ??
        don't ya hate it when you run out of argon in the middle of something.
        i got a backup 80 tank to help keep that from happening. when my big tank is getting close to empty i pull it off and use the 80. this way if the 80 runs out be for i go for a refill there is still a little left in the big one.
        although probably not enough to do all the caps.

Comment

Adjustable control arms just sounds better I guess? , I will take more pics along the way & post them up.

Dave---not to bad for a "stick" machine hugh? Thanks for all your help BTW getting me all set up to tig on the STR!

Comment

I am building a 4-link rear & 3-link front coilover suspension on a 79' scout.

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

anytime i do a weld like that i use "never seize" or some call it "anti seize"......nice work i have a 1972 scout i'm going to do a spring over axle conversion....

Comment

The weld shrinking compresses the outer thread. After welding run a tap through it.
                  David

Comment

I had the same problem when I did some on my tie rod and steering link. Ran a tap through them when I was done welding.

Comment

Would it help at all to heat up the threaded collar to expand it before welding?

Comment

I left the rod end threaded into the tube insert with some anti-splatter spray on it, welded the root then let it fully cool then welded the cap and it threads in and out like BUTTER!!!!!! No sticking at all!!!!!!

Comment

NIce Job where did u get those inserts I could use some do they make left and right hand thread?

Originally posted by bamacpl View Post
                          here are a few pics of the tube inserts I was having trouble with the threads gauding.....I used the anti splatter spray on em' & it worked like a champ!

Comment

http://chassisengineering.com/shopDe...ProductId=1572

Comment

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...pters_c_7.html

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.