Welding Curtain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding Curtain

I want to make, or buy a welding curtain, to block the wind.
    I may also use it to weld inside, near the door, when it's raining.

I have some pipe from an old carport that I might be able to use for the uprights.
    Should I use a welding blanket, or tarps, or what?

I also saw a folding portable free standing curtain on the net and wonder how it would work.

I need something just high enough to block wind and protect onlookers from harm, as well.

Anyone have any tips on how to, or plans?
    Last edited by ligito; 04-07-2009, 07:18 PM.
    Millermatic 211 AutoSet w/MVP
    Century 110 volt 90/110 MIG-Gone to my son, in Texas
    Victor SuperRange OA
    Milwaukee Cold Cut Saw
    Milwaukee Portable Deep Cut Bandsaw
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg
    Jet Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
    Jet MD-18 Mill Drill
    Orbit Drill Press
    12 Ton Floor Press
    2002 E-350 V-10:
    1983 F-150 4.9L 6
    2004 Honda ST1300
    2007 Suzuki LTA400F Quad
    1997 Suzuki DR650

There are many designs on the market. Just Google welding curtains and copy one.
    Nick

Comment

I picked up an amber/yellow 8 ft. wide by 6 ft. high 2-ply welding curtain for next-to-nothing at an estate sale and fabricated/welded a collapsible hangar arrangement for it out of electrical conduit. I use it to shield kids walking by from my arc. Mostly it's folded up out of the way with the frame hanging on the wall, but occasionally I deploy it if I'm worried about passers-by or the neighbors if I'm welding alongside my house. With the air movement I have here on the top of a hill I don't think the curtain would work to make Tig welding possible on a breezy day so I use it mainly to screen the UV.
      Miller XMT-350 CC/CV
      Miller S-22A wirefeeder
      Bernard 400A "Q" gun
      Miller 30-A Spoolmatic w/WC-24
      CK 210 & WP-18 GTAW torches
      Hypertherm Powermax 30
      O/A Rig, Enco 4x6 bandsaw, etc.

Comment

i think you will find most of the weld curtains are made to block light not wind. lots just grab some cardboard, plywood or whatever is handy to block the wind. i have a blue see threw curtain at the door to my weld room to protect the kids or wife's eyes if they walk into the shop wile i am welding. but for outside i mostly use flux core or turn up the gas flow rate if i can block some of the wind most of the time turning up the flow rate works. this is for MIG, i have not tried to TIG out in the wind. i think i would go to stick if my MIG was down for some reason and i needed to weld out in the wind.
        thanks for the help
        ......or..........
        hope i helped
        sigpic
        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
        JAMES

Comment

This is for MIG, I've been using a 4ft square chunk of cardboard for over 15 years now, I think I got my moneys worth.

Do I need something non-flammable, or just anything that will fit the frame that I make, like HF tarps.
          Millermatic 211 AutoSet w/MVP
          Century 110 volt 90/110 MIG-Gone to my son, in Texas
          Victor SuperRange OA
          Milwaukee Cold Cut Saw
          Milwaukee Portable Deep Cut Bandsaw
          Milwaukee Hole Hawg
          Jet Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
          Jet MD-18 Mill Drill
          Orbit Drill Press
          12 Ton Floor Press
          2002 E-350 V-10:
          1983 F-150 4.9L 6
          2004 Honda ST1300
          2007 Suzuki LTA400F Quad
          1997 Suzuki DR650

Comment

i think you just answer your own question.

Do I need something non-flammable, or just anything that will fit the frame that I make?

I've been using a 4ft square chunk of cardboard for over 15 years now

if yo are going to go to all the trouble to make a frame you might just as well use a welding blanket to keep it longer.

or just get some flux core.
            thanks for the help
            ......or..........
            hope i helped
            sigpic
            feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
            JAMES

Comment

Working...
            X