Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welding Curtain

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding Curtain

I want to make, or buy a welding curtain, to block the wind.
    I may also use it to weld inside, near the door, when it's raining.

I have some pipe from an old carport that I might be able to use for the uprights.
    Should I use a welding blanket, or tarps, or what?

I also saw a folding portable free standing curtain on the net and wonder how it would work.

I need something just high enough to block wind and protect onlookers from harm, as well.

Anyone have any tips on how to, or plans?
    Last edited by ligito; 04-07-2009, 07:18 PM.

There are many designs on the market. Just Google welding curtains and copy one.
    Nick

Comment

I picked up an amber/yellow 8 ft. wide by 6 ft. high 2-ply welding curtain for next-to-nothing at an estate sale and fabricated/welded a collapsible hangar arrangement for it out of electrical conduit. I use it to shield kids walking by from my arc. Mostly it's folded up out of the way with the frame hanging on the wall, but occasionally I deploy it if I'm worried about passers-by or the neighbors if I'm welding alongside my house. With the air movement I have here on the top of a hill I don't think the curtain would work to make Tig welding possible on a breezy day so I use it mainly to screen the UV.

Comment

i think you will find most of the weld curtains are made to block light not wind. lots just grab some cardboard, plywood or whatever is handy to block the wind. i have a blue see threw curtain at the door to my weld room to protect the kids or wife's eyes if they walk into the shop wile i am welding. but for outside i mostly use flux core or turn up the gas flow rate if i can block some of the wind most of the time turning up the flow rate works. this is for MIG, i have not tried to TIG out in the wind. i think i would go to stick if my MIG was down for some reason and i needed to weld out in the wind.

Comment

This is for MIG, I've been using a 4ft square chunk of cardboard for over 15 years now, I think I got my moneys worth.

Do I need something non-flammable, or just anything that will fit the frame that I make, like HF tarps.

Comment

i think you just answer your own question.

Do I need something non-flammable, or just anything that will fit the frame that I make?

I've been using a 4ft square chunk of cardboard for over 15 years now

if yo are going to go to all the trouble to make a frame you might just as well use a welding blanket to keep it longer.

or just get some flux core.

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.