Help on Brazing with Mig welder.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on Brazing with Mig welder.

Well, I have got my Millermatic 211 came last week and since I have never used MIG before the playing has been a learning experience.
    I purchased a roll of Silicone Bronze because I want to braze with it, using an Argon gas tank. So here are some questions..........

It does not make a frying sound when using the Bronze wire, is that OK.

It seems to drip the metal into the puddle like a slow dripping tap, is that usual.

The settings on the inside of the machine do not work well with it, I presume this is because the Bronze melts at a lower temperature, what is if there is one, the rule for setting up this brazing method.

I got a flux cored spool from Lowes and got the frying sound but because of the firework show I could not see if it was doing the dripping tap deposit, just looked like a war zone at night.

Any help will be much appreciated chap's,
    Thanks,
    James.

Sil Bronze needs low heat like the lowest tap. It works great on sheetmetal with argon gas. You will have to play with the wire speed...Bob
    Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Someone needs to go back to Welding 101 and read the definition of "Brazing".
      Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200 DX
      Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
      Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
      Hobart HH187
      Dialarc 250 AC/DC
      Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
      Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
      PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
      Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
      Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
      More grinders than hands

Comment

It is Mig Brazing when used with a mig welder. Because it doesn't melt the metals it just melts the wire and joins the metals...Bob
        Here is a good link.
        http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/brazing.htm
        Bob Wright

Comment

Some people call it braze-welding. It does not always melt the base metal, but sometimes can have some occasional melting of the base metal.

We have a TIG braze welding process here at work that uses silicon bronze to join copper to stainless. We do not melt the base metals.

When I was in the robotics industry,we had a process at Ford for joining roof panels. It was a hybird MIG spray process that used silicon bronze to braze without melting the base metals. It was a blended filler that flared a lap joint in the sheet metals.

Comment

Thanks Bob,

New one on me.

After reading the article, I think I'll stick with my torch if I've got something that needs brazing.
            Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200 DX
            Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
            Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
            Hobart HH187
            Dialarc 250 AC/DC
            Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
            Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
            PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
            Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
            Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
            More grinders than hands

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
              Thanks Bob,

New one on me.

After reading the article, I think I'll stick with my torch if I've got something that needs brazing.
              No problem. I liked what i read and bought 2 23# spools of .024 and its great for sheetmetal. Thicker cast iron parts need Alum Bronze wire Sil bronze just won't work well from what i tried anyway...Bob
              Bob Wright

Comment

i like tigging the bronze silicon wire,works well on thin galvanized sheetmetal...

Comment

Working...
                X