EDW Cover Thickness?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EDW Cover Thickness?

Does anyone have any idea how thick the protective sheet metal is on Bobcats and Trailblazers are? I'm thinking of replacing the existing sheet metal on my Champion 10,000 with stainless for better weather resistance.
    sigpic
    Clint Baxley
    Baxley Welding Service
    Rembert, SC 29128

That should be cool looking. The Bobcat sitting in the truck in front of me is about .063" or close to 1/16". I think I saw one brand had a satinless cover, maybe it was miller.
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

Miller and Thermal have had stainless sheet metal kits for their units. Kinda sharp looking, but man, they were expensive.

.063 would put it inbetween 14 and 16 gauge...seems a little heavy to me. I'll see what my old and new one have on them. If it is that heavy, it would be news to me. OK, now I am curious.
      Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
      '06 12RC feeder
      Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
      Esab Multimaster 260
      Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Got me thinking, Checked again, bobcat 225D its .063 and checked a Big Blue air pac and its about .068, of course that could be some paint too. Blue paint might be real thick
        Scott

Comment

You guys ROCK! Thanks! That'll give me something to go on in terms of pricing the sheet. If I decide to do it, I'll be sure and post pics.
          ~Clint
          sigpic
          Clint Baxley
          Baxley Welding Service
          Rembert, SC 29128

Comment

Ok, now for more fun. My Bobcat 225G measured at .045, which would be 18 ga more or less and my TB 302 came out at .038 which would be just about 20 ga with paint. Does that muddy up the water enough for ya?
            Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
            '06 12RC feeder
            Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
            Esab Multimaster 260
            Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

im thinking 18g

all of the engine driven machines ive used have been in that range, from lincolns to millers
              mm210
              maxstar 150

Comment

The new Lincoln engine drive welder is stainless. Looks really sharp!!
                I'm not late...
                I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

I've seen it...it's one of the places that gave me the idea. I also saw some pictures of some Millers that either came that way or were modified for placement on offshore oil platforms.

The back end of my Hobart is completely open (for circulation, I'm assuming) so once I close it in with Stainless, I'm going to have to install some type of forced-air fan for cooling and also tap a few dozen vent holes...if I knew how to stamp louvers into the steel, I'd go that route. As it is, I'll probably just use a bi-metal hole saw to cut about 25 or 30 1" holes on each side where it's currently open. I realize that all of this is going to void every warranty I ever thought about having with Hobart, but I think the long-term benefits will outweigh the loss of the warranty.....especially since one of my best friends can tear apart Kohler engines and put them back together in a matter of hours...
                  sigpic
                  Clint Baxley
                  Baxley Welding Service
                  Rembert, SC 29128

Comment

too much

Well i thought i was going nuts so I went and measured for a third time. I checked 4 of them this time with a different set of calipers. Even the old AEAD is .064". I must be measuring something different than you guys. I'm measuring the cover over the generator, not the engine. Only one of ours, Big Blue Air Pac, has an engine cover. The rest are older and the engines are exposed. oh well, I think 18 ga would be great anyway. its even a digital caliper
                    Scott

Comment

clilnt,
                      well, miller's new engine welders are what...30% quiter? They have more cover on then before...I'd look at that and how they vent their machines and copy that, instead of drilling 30 holes!!!
                      I'm not late...
                      I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

The new ones have baffles in them to direct the air. The biggest challenge would be making sure you had sufficient airflow around the engine. Mess that one up and you will have a boat anchor. These suckers get hot fast when restricted.
                        Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                        '06 12RC feeder
                        Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                        Esab Multimaster 260
                        Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Working...
                        X