Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

FireWood Rack

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • FireWood Rack

    Hello BOYS, I'm looking for some plans for a firewood rack for a ole buddy of mine! Needs to be simple & cheap! Naw... just a simple plan that I can build & haul over to his place...Needs to stack about 1/2 a cord wide & bout 12/14 inchs wide(wood needs to be about 12/14 inches long) & then maybe set another in front of it! I'm gonna look in projects on site & google right now! Any plans floating around & what type of material?

  • #2
    A rack for 1/2 of a cord of 12-14" wood is gonna be HUGE!!!
    Like 1/2 the side of the house

    Comment


    • #3
      Ok I re-read and seen you're gonna double them...better idea

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by roho View Post
        Hello BOYS, I'm looking for some plans for a firewood rack for a ole buddy of mine! Needs to be simple & cheap! Naw... just a simple plan that I can build & haul over to his place...Needs to stack about 1/2 a cord wide & bout 12/14 inchs wide(wood needs to be about 12/14 inches long) & then maybe set another in front of it! I'm gonna look in projects on site & google right now! Any plans floating around & what type of material?
        hey roho .... just buy one

        Comment


        • #5
          I have A buddy that built one and he made it out of 1 1/2" square tubing. He built it square with 3" feet on the bottom

          Comment


          • #6
            Men, I was probably trying to explain to MUCH in detail...What he wants is a rack to put 12 to 14 inch long pieces of wood & maybe the width of a half cord! I think that would be 4ft tall by 8ft long!(I think a half cord is 4ft high by 2 ft wide x 8ft long & a cord in 4ft wide by 4ft tall by 8ft long) so it wouldn't be a true half cord! He has a Franklin heater that takes 12 to 14 inch split wood. & as far as buying one, he was just trying to push a little work toward me & wanted it built out of a little heavier material! Anyway THANKS for feedback & any help you can give!

            Comment


            • #7
              Guys that want to push a little work towards you are GOOD guys.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Craig in Denver View Post
                Guys that want to push a little work towards you are GOOD guys.
                Amen to that...and pay it back and forward too

                Comment


                • #9
                  seems like there is a design here where it was made of 2" sq. and he added a cut out of Texas to the end. i suspect you could add any thing you wanted to the end to personalize it.
                  you should check the projects picture gallery and I'll check my pic's and see if i can find a pic of it for ya.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    roho, I built these from 11/4'' pipe. One is 10'' deep by 4' high and 8' long for my cooking wood, the other measures 12'' deep by 4' high and 8' long for fire wood. I mitered the bottom pieces to make the square base and added three pieces of pipe on the bottom to raise the base, then saddled the uprights and capped the tops. Simple and functional
                    Attached Files

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      That's about what I want to build K.A.M., About how high off the ground are they & what's on bottom to keep it off ground?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        if i was to build one i would definitely coat it in a spray on type bed liner like you can get at most any auto outlet. even walmart has some. it ranges from $3-$8 a can depending on maker. i used the $3 version on the inside of my dump trailer for my lawn mower 6+ years ago and its still rut free after numerous dirt, rock, sticks, scrap steel loads, and about any thing else i could load it full of over the years. it might be a good option for a steel treatment for the wood rack as well, look into it as an option.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by roho View Post
                          That's about what I want to build K.A.M., About how high off the ground are they & what's on bottom to keep it off ground?
                          roho, if you place the racks on the ground the wood will be 31/2'' off the ground, I put 3 pieces of the 11/4'' pipe on the bottom of the racks. I had some old bricks and raised them off the ground higher for now because plans are to have concrete where they are later on.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            wood rack

                            Originally posted by roho View Post
                            Men, I was probably trying to explain to MUCH in detail...What he wants is a rack to put 12 to 14 inch long pieces of wood & maybe the width of a half cord! I think that would be 4ft tall by 8ft long!(I think a half cord is 4ft high by 2 ft wide x 8ft long & a cord in 4ft wide by 4ft tall by 8ft long) so it wouldn't be a true half cord! He has a Franklin heater that takes 12 to 14 inch split wood. & as far as buying one, he was just trying to push a little work toward me & wanted it built out of a little heavier material! Anyway THANKS for feedback & any help you can give!
                            I build this design for a fire wood customer it's simple and in expensive but sturdy as well
                            In sizes 4' to 8'

                            Regards
                            CrazyHorse!
                            Attached Files

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              all i had to do was get my picture folder off my desktop onto my laptop and waaa-laaa, i found it.
                              check out this design. some high school kids made it, sorry i don't remember which ones so i cant give them credit. might have even been the teacher that posted them ??

                              any way here they are enjoy and be inspired.
                              Attached Files

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.