Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wrought-iron-style fence as first project?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Bodybagger;185362] This is very common. If you are worried about contact rust, it's going to happen wherever you put a post in, too.

Would powder coating and some G.E. silicone under the mounting plate bolted to the concrete help to deter contact rust? Just an idea.
    Thanks,
    Nick

Comment

I'd check into powder coating. Makes it look professional and it's not all that expensive considering you won't be repainting every few years. cat

Comment

I made mine using the punch channel. I made a jig out of 4x4 post, just cut a slot in the wood that the punch channel would slide into. The sled the post in the punch and weld. Start the weld on channel first it is thicker than your pickets. One thing nice about a fence like this bad weld won't matter as long as they penetrate and hold. This was my first project.

1" sg tubing for frame.

The 4x4 poles were not painted yet.

Comment

That looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by smooth72 View Post
            I made mine using the punch channel. I made a jig out of 4x4 post, just cut a slot in the wood that the punch channel would slide into. The sled the post in the punch and weld. Start the weld on channel first it is thicker than your pickets. One thing nice about a fence like this bad weld won't matter as long as they penetrate and hold. This was my first project.
            I notice that all your pickets go to ground level. That certainly makes sag a non-issue.

Comment

It is about 1/2 inch off the ground. Once it is welded up with the punch channel I have not notice sag. I have a couple large section over 6' that has minimal sag.

Comment

What would be the problem with geting a piece of C chanel and taking it to a fabrication shop an have them put it on an iron worker to punch square holes in it, would it still sag?

Comment

Originally posted by metalmeltr View Post
                  What would be the problem with geting a piece of C chanel and taking it to a fabrication shop an have them put it on an iron worker to punch square holes in it, would it still sag?
                  No problem just the price you get from king is hard to beet.
                  I never thought about sag, so I went out and check my largest section that has no ground contact. It is 102" and in the middle it does have a 1/2 in sag after 8 years. It is not noticeable by your eye. You can not go wrong with King ,www.kingmetals.com. Order a parts book and a great Idea/design book.
                  Last edited by smooth72; 04-16-2009, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.