Flat bar roll.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat bar roll.

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a flat bar roller or plans for one? It has to be a powered unit capable of handling up to 1 1/2 X 1/4 flat. I don't have the space and really cannot justify buying one of the big commercial units for no more than I will be needing it. I am in the process of designing my own, but it would be much simpler and less time consuming to go with a proven design.
    Lincoln: Eagle 10,000, Weld-Pak HD, Weld-Pak 155, AC-225, LN-25 wirefeeder
    Miller: Syncrowave 250DX Tigrunner
    Westinghouse: 400+ amp AC
    ThermalArc Handy wirefeeder
    1 Harris, 3 Victor O/A rigs
    Arcair gouger
    Too many other power toys to list.

Do it right, do it once. And in all things ya get what ya pay for.

i have a manual one that seems like a purity simple design, pro tools has another design that looks like it might convert to power a little essayer though.
    roller
    don't know if this is the type roller you are looking for or not, but hope it helps a little. i also atached a few pic's of the one i have.
    Attached Files
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped
    sigpic
    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Comment

J.R.
      I saw one that was similar to the pro-tools one that this guy made himself on the other island I was visiting. He used to to make nice curves out of square tubing for his extravagent gates. Was a cinch for flat bar! He used a jack screw for the middle and 3 solid cylindrical rollers. The 2 side ones were adjustable to go in and out and of course, the middle one with the jack screw to go up and down. wish I had a pic to show you!!!
      I'm not late...
      I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

Oh yeah, I use one at my friend's shop that looks like James from Shop Outfitters for $769 I think James has the one from e-baby (typo, but I think it's cute and i'll keep it). Watch out, they are 1/2 the price but made in China and I don' think they are as strong. I rolled the dimensions you want and works easy!!! Only prob is the big footprint of the wheel.
        http://www.shopoutfitters.com/RingRoller2.html
        I'm not late...

Comment

I made a baby size one for rolling model train track but the design is the same as the bigger ones just make the parts larger. Do you have a lathe? ...Bob
          Attached Files
          Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
          http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

I've seen the one from Harbor Freight and left it in the store. I'd kill it within a week. Actually the description about the one with the jack screws jogged my memory, and the pic of the one on the lathe helped me remember the rest. I don't have a lathe, maybe down the road.

I can't use the manual one due to a bad shoulder, elbow and wrist. I don't think I would hold up to all the rolling I am going to have to do to get the pattern worked out. If the designs take off I will be getting one of the big production models that does bars, angles, and tubes.

Thanks for the help guys. I used to use one that was homebuilt (not by me) but couldn't remember the setup. With the pics and descriptions now I can see what I want to do.
            Arcair gouger

Comment

have you got a plan for a motor ? HF has a power over head winch on sail all the time for about $80. it should have the reduction gearing all ready to go. i picked one up a wile back for lifting stuff onto my table, but i bet it would make a good power source for your project.
              be shore to show us pic's of it when its getting built.
              thanks for the help
              ......or..........
              hope i helped
              sigpic
              feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
              summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
              JAMES

Comment

Jolly Roger,
                A powered unit will be $$$. I have both of the Shop Outfitters ring rollers. The big one will do 1 1/2 x 1/4 easily without a lot of effort. If you are only going to use it occasionally you might want to reconsider it. If you happen to be in my area sometime I'd be glad you show it to you and you could give it a try.
                Jim

Comment

The first time i used mine i got blisters so i adapted my 60:1 motor/gearbox from my slip roll/scroller unit. I couldn't see spending another 800 bucks for the motor/gearbox parts so now i can use the same drive on 3 machines...Bob
                  Bob Wright

Comment

Wow Bob, nice job!!! If I ever get a shop, I'll ask you for the plans
                    I'm not late...

Comment

Actually as time goes on I hope to have to buy the big powered machine. I own half of a company that does welding and ornamental iron work so I really have to look at how fast I can get things done. I have a couple of designs in my head that I have never seen anywhere before, and once they are seen I am pretty sure they will be very popular.

I've been asked to post some pics of my welding and as soon as I do something worth posting I will. In the last month I haven't made a weld over an inch long and all of them flat with the mig. Stuff doesn't stay around here long, it is either driving off as soon as I get my ground off it, or on the trailer to get installed.
                      Arcair gouger

Comment

Originally posted by Jolly Roger View Post
                        I own half of a company that does welding and ornamental iron work so I really have to look at how fast I can get things done
                        I own 1/2 of a company also, and the wife always asks how fast i can get it done but i never see her helping ...Bob
                        Bob Wright

Comment

Bob, I'm guessing she owns the othe 1/2????
                          Faster it goes out, faster she gets PAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          I'm not late...

Comment

I can help you here Jolly Roger. I use a rolling mill a bunch in my business and you can built this for less than 600. Go to this link and at the bottom of the page there is a short video you can download to see it in operation.

Mine has been in use for 6 years and still works like new.

I can take 2 to 3 inch X 4 inch hot steel to 1/32 if need be.

http://www.anvilfire.com/bookrev/mcdonald/mill.htm

Also there is an email link where you can order the plans for 25.00

Best regards,

Jim

Comment

Working...
                            X