Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chemolene

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jwsrep View Post
    Actually Jon, If your torch outfit is a Victor you may already have a grade T hose. Victor Equipment has been shipping grade T hose in their cutting outfits for the past few years. If you look on the hose it should read "acetylene only" or " all fuel gases". If you can't read it play it safe and replace te hose with a grade T hose. Then just changed out your tip to a propylene tip and you are set.
    Important thing to remember: you can use an acetylene regulator for propylene, but you can NOT use a propylene/propane regulator for acetylene. The reason for this is because propylene/propane regulators have the ability to be used at a higher pressure than 15 PSI. It is ILLEGAL to use acetylene at anything higher than 15 PSI.
    It's not illegal, it's just very stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Chem-O-lene View Post
      Those who tell you it is a propylene are wrong.
      Trademark name for propylene... http://www.airgas.com/browse/product...&WT.svl=117198

Trademark for Chemweld (Atlanta Georgia) propane product, with propylene: http://www.msdsonline.com/binder/sco...000/000182.pdf

Apparently, it is, or contains, propylene.

Chem-O-Lene: Care to give a polite, relevant, explanation rather than a caustic, nasty, and apparently wrong diatribe, in response to a thread that is over a year old?

Also, Acetylene is not a hydrocarbon blend. It is C2H2, ethyne, a pure hydrocarbon. As provided for chemical industry use and welding service, the purity is quite high, with fairly tight controls on impurities even with the lowest grades.

Comment

Originally posted by enlpck View Post
        Chem-O-Lene: Care to give a polite, relevant, explanation rather than a caustic, nasty, and apparently wrong diatribe, in response to a thread that is over a year old?
        YEAH!!!!!!!! what HE said!!!!!!!! Interesting someone can be so rude (I'm being VERY polite!!!!!!!!!!!), not seem to back themselves up, so we can all learn, eh?

Comment

I'll throw in my $0.02 since somebody else dug this up.... I have actually used Chem-o-lene. Bought a 10? lb can 15 years ago still have half of it... The pro's 1 No soot, 2 It will burn through multiple layers without blowing back.

The con's 1 You need to buy all new tips, I know some of you probably have one crusty old cutting tip, but my box of tips weighs about 40 lbs. 2 It will burn through multiple layers (good luck cutting a bearing off a shaft) 3 The cuts are not as precise as O/A. 4 The cutting tips are more expensive and much more tender (basically a propane tip).

Other thoughts... The tanks are a propane tank and have the same recert rules, They don't fit in your cart either. The supplier I had bought the gas from was pushing it fairly hard back then, now they don't handle it anymore.

Ben

Comment

NO SOOT!!!!!!!!!!! Heck with that

If it wasn't for the "soot trick" I may have stopped using O/A all-together.

Comment

In looking at the MSDS sheets in the links I am suprised to see that the % of the gasses other than propane vary so much. Are they there to tune the propane or just hard to filter out?

Comment

Originally posted by Vicegrip View Post
                In looking at the MSDS sheets in the links I am suprised to see that the % of the gasses other than propane vary so much. Are they there to tune the propane or just hard to filter out?
                I work in the propane unit and have been the control room guy making the stuff. There is so many variables that enter in making any gas. Like sweet crude, sour crude, crude mixes because you just don't run one tank of supplied crude anymore its all mixed from 4,5,6,7 tanks of raw crude from all over the world. So every hour the process is changing and you have to make adjustments. We have target sheets that we have to meet 6 or 8 times a day and they may vary a little...Bob

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                  I work in the propane unit and have been the control room guy making the stuff. There is so many variables that enter in making any gas. Like sweet crude, sour crude, crude mixes because you just don't run one tank of supplied crude anymore its all mixed from 4,5,6,7 tanks of raw crude from all over the world. So every hour the process is changing and you have to make adjustments. We have target sheets that we have to meet 6 or 8 times a day and they may vary a little...Bob
                  will propane weld the same as name brand Cemoline? the "other gasses" seem to each range in the 2% to .5% range. Sounds almost like byproducts or manufacture or min levels that can be filtered at reasonable cost kins of stuff.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.