Cutting Square Tube

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnsonsNB View Post
    Totally agree with you Dave. I'd rather be proud of the project than ending up grinding welds out, and cursing the whole time.

Time to locate a buzz, and relearn my stick skills! :-)

As for the thickness, both the 8" and 6" are supposed to be 1/4"....

I think you are on the right track now. I have split wood for many years and without seeing your design, I simply can't imagine a 140 handling the job when you consider all the torgue and pressures involved.

If you find an AC only buzz box 6011 or AC rated 7018 would be a far better choice. I welded many a farm equipment with an old buzz box.

Having said that, small wire welders for sure have their place and I bet you'll find many uses for it. Check around, many used buzz boxes setting in the corner of garages collecting dust. You will probably have more applications for it anyway, especially if you have to weld outside on windy days or rusty metal.
    Geezer
    Miller 175
    Power MIG 255c
    Ranger 8
    1974 Wisconsin 5K AC Only (Cherry)
    Spool Gun
    185 TIG
    Victor/Harris O/A

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer View Post
      I think you are on the right track now. I have split wood for many years and without seeing your design, I simply can't imagine a 140 handling the job when you consider all the torgue and pressures involved.

If you find an AC only buzz box 6011 or AC rated 7018 would be a far better choice. I welded many a farm equipment with an old buzz box.

Having said that, small wire welders for sure have their place and I bet you'll find many uses for it. Check around, many used buzz boxes setting in the corner of garages collecting dust. You will probably have more applications for it anyway, especially if you have to weld outside on windy days or rusty metal.
      I agree Geezer. I started out welding as a teenager on my dad's farm with a buzz box, and I must admit, I was the resident weldor at that time on the farm.... Did some decent work (that is, it held together) at the time too.

I bought the 140 MIG for bodywork and some basic stuff around home, but a buzz would be a nice complement to the shop. Wish I could afford a decent sized inverter.... I'd love to learn TIG!!

Comment

I had to do something similar on some 1.25" square a while back...It was about 6" long at a time.

If you make up a quick holding fixture some flat bar clamped on one end to a table...that'll hold the tube while you use a grinder to cut off the one side.

Then just change from the grinder to a sanding pad, and go nuts. Smooth it all out. I don't know what thickness material you have to use, but with .095 it wasn't too painful, or slow to accomplish.

Hope that helps the task of cutting stuff at least.
        Precision is only as important as the project...if you're building a rocket ship...1/64" would matter. If you're building a sledgehammer...an 1/8" probably wont.

Comment

Plasma cut it .
          Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
          Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
          Rockwell vertical mill
          Beverly Shear B-3
          Beverly Shear JR
          Home-made English wheel
          Milwaukee Porta-band
          " Sawz-all
          Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
          Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
          Powcon 300st

Comment

I'm awful curious as to the design of the splitter... can we get a pic of it? If it was me, I'd probably either cut it with My evolution saw or a 4.5" grinder with Walter Zip-Cut wheels. I can follow a line pretty well w/ my grinder, but I've had a LOT of practice!
            Bobcat 225NT
            Cutmaster 52
            Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
            Caterpillar TH63
            '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

Originally posted by bretsk2500 View Post
              I'm awful curious as to the design of the splitter... can we get a pic of it? If it was me, I'd probably either cut it with My evolution saw or a 4.5" grinder with Walter Zip-Cut wheels. I can follow a line pretty well w/ my grinder, but I've had a LOT of practice!
              Hi Bretsk2500,

The splitter's bed design is similar to that of the two-way splitters from Northerntool.com . In effect, the cylinder is inside a piece of 6" square tube, and then that tube is inside another piece of square tube (can be fabricated from a piece of 8").

Admittedly, like you, I'm quite good with my grinder too, after many years of cutting autobody panels and the like.... As I mentioned above, if I'm unable to locate someone with a plasma, I'll probably end up using a grinder too.

As someone else mentioned, yes, O/A will certainly work too.... I just would like as clean of a cut as possible the first time. I know the precision is not a big thing with a splitter, but like most of you folks, the fun of a project is in the details....

Comment

I looked at the ones at northern... interesting design. I definitely wouldn't use a MM140 for any or it, 7018 or .045 NR-232. To get around cutting the 8" tube, I think it would actually be stronger to use 2 pieces of 8" structural channel. I'm betting the reason the commercial ones use the tube is they just roll up sheet stock into the U shape (not cutting a section out of a HSS tube) because it would be cheaper than 2 pieces of channel.
                Bobcat 225NT
                Cutmaster 52
                Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
                Caterpillar TH63
                '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

Working...
                X