Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

30 minutes saved me 8-10 hours

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 minutes saved me 8-10 hours

It is great to have a welding machine at the house. I will try to make this short, but I am building me a small welding shop behind the house. I do a little side work and make stuff for freinds and family all the time. Basically I grew up in my Dads welding shop as a kid and you just can't get that out of your blood. So I decided to build me a small work shop.

Anyway, I have a 9'X7' door coming out the side of the shop and wanted a small patio out there. A freind of mine works for a concrete company and got 16 - 2'X3'X3 1/2" thick patio blocks for free....

These things weigh in at around 320-350# each. We unloaded them by hand from the trailer and at that time I decided to either rent a bobcat or come up with a way to manipulate these into position because I wasn't going to carry them anymore.

That is when I came up with this;

It is my cherry picker that I just welded a tongue and support brace to. All I have to do is remove 3 bolts from the base of cherry picker frame and drive off with it. It attaches to my lawn mower like this;

When i want to remove it, i just back the tractor over the cherry picker frame and bolt it back down and remove the pin and bolt from the tractor.

I had to add some counter weights to the front, John Deere makes them, but why buy when you can make;

Here it is in action;

It took a whole bunch of time out of this project and I see me using this thing a lot around the house.

Comment

Great project.

Comment

WoW.... Great Project...Let's see MORE!

Comment

Great idea! That will save the old back.

Comment

but i chopped up my lawnmower to make my cart.

Comment

I think I see more than just a cherry picker used on that lawn mower in the future...just make more attachments!

Very nice idea, definitely beats breaking your back for a patio.

Comment

That looks like Happy Times. Time, money, great project and a buddy.

my life sucks

Comment

That's some good thinking!
                  Great idea, great job, and fantastic post!
                  Keep the projects coming.
                  Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Nice job!

Comment

Your next project should be connecting a small hydraulic pump to the engine...

Comment

Muy bien-Great job.

Comment

hydrostatic

I'm not too familiar with the latest models, but we had a 420 with "hydrostatic" that had accessory connections to plug in hydraulic doodads. The pump would run just about anything well we hooked up to it as long as we weren't driving full bore when we tried. Are these newer models not traditional hydrostatic or have they made the system less modification friendly where you have to add another pump?

Comment

Originally posted by wrench3047 View Post
                            I'm not too familiar with the latest models, but we had a 420 with "hydrostatic" that had accessory connections to plug in hydraulic doodads. The pump would run just about anything well we hooked up to it as long as we weren't driving full bore when we tried. Are these newer models not traditional hydrostatic or have they made the system less modification friendly where you have to add another pump?
                            This one has a hydrostat transmission, but I have not found any accessory plugs. It's a GX325 if anyone has any info, it would be much appreciated. I have found several projects for this around here, but the manual pumping sucks....Plus I have other ideas like a log splitter for this thing..

Comment

That will get a lot of use. I made my old john Deere into a mower/ dump bed

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.