Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stainless rod bends

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless rod bends

Help me (if you are willing!)! I need to build a gimballed stove for a racing sailboat. Most of the boats use quarter inch or so stainless steel rod to basically build a rack to hold a camping stove. I need to make about 12 consistant bends in this quarter inch rod and weld it up. Who makes the best bender for this type of material? If I had more time, I would build the bender. The budget allows for tool purchase, and time constraints further that allowance! Thanks in advance!

~Ian

Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 130 XP

crabber

For those simple bends, an $89 bender from Northern Tool will do the job and do it well.

Multitude of better, quality benders out there if you wish to spend more. JD comes to mind. Pro-Tools makes a good bender.

Comment

Use a torch

If your going to be making some small radius 90 degree bends, round and flat stock. I'd use a oxy acetylene. Heat to red orange make your bend let air cool. The blackness will polish out with a flap disc or what ever. I've had great success with this method. I hope it's a diesel stove, propane's no good for boat heat up in that cold ass country. I like it much better down here were we barbecue on deck in the winter. I supose your gettin ready for the king season, hope ya have a good one.

Comment

Ditto on Sundowns post. Even Harbor Freight has one I believe. I would bend them cold using heat as a last resort esp if there was little or no welding.

Comment

I too use the el cheapo HF bender 100's of thousands of bends over the last 8 years...Bob
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks!

I will go with the Northern Tool bender. Seems perfect for the small, lightweight job at hand.

~Ian

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.