Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ Pit - Material

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBQ Pit - Material

Hello,

I am new to both the site and to welding.

I have a small part time bead blasting company in MA, North of Bean Town, and purchased a MIG a while ago and want to try it out on a project.

I was thinking about building a BBQ/Fire Pit.

My questions are:
    Can I use black iron pipe to frame it up ?
    Will the pipe weld OK ?
    Can the pipe be bent into a circle OK ?

I was thinking of using the pipe to form three circular frames and tie them together using 3/8 rods at 15 to 30 degree increments.
    Add some kind of heavy duty screening and you have a Fire Pit, alt use BBQ Pit.

What's your thoughts ?

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks,

Black pipe hasn't held up to support a load in a fire in my use.

I used it to support my charcoal maker and have 2 nice curved pipes now.

here you can see how there were to begin with.

edit: here is a link to more info on the charcoal maker http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...light=charcoal

www.castandque.com

Comment

The Pipe will weld fine
      Yes it can be rolled- but you need a roller

I think it will work as a Frame too but back to rolling the circles- need a roller

I believe Chuck's pipe warped 'cause he basically built hisself a Forge- bend/warp just about any metal with the same gauge as Black pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
        I believe Chuck's pipe warped 'cause he basically built hisself a Forge- bend/warp just about any metal with the same gauge as Black pipe.
        Probably so, The 2" oil field pipe I used is holding up, so I will be making some supports out of more of it.

Comment

Working...
        X
        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.