Bumper metal thickness opinions...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bumper metal thickness opinions...

Hi. Sometime in the next few weeks I am going to be starting construction on a front bumper for my truck. I am building it for offroad use, and I want it to be very sturdy and able to withstand impacts against trees, rocks, banks, etc. I will have two bumper shackle mounts, http://www.rokmen.com/products/diy_f...le_mounts.html mounted right over the end of the frame rails. These will pass through the face of the bumper and be welded inside and out and gusseted on the inside to prevent pull through.

I was thinking of using 1/2" for the front face of the bumper and 3/8" for my top plate. Do you think this is overkill? Should I use 3/8" and 1/4"? I always have a tendancy to over build things.
    "When life gets tough and it looks like the gators are going to get you, step back, take a deep breath, and start killing them one at a time, usually the closest one first."
    -- PAUL HOWE --

for the vast majority of it, 3/16" would be plenty. only go thicker for your hard points (i.e. shackle mounts and winch plate). If you built all out of 1/2", your bumper would be dragging on the ground from the weight.
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

you didn't mention the vehicle. if it's a jeep then your looking at 4000lbs lighter then a full size truck. my point is if you going to hammer a rock with 10000lbs or 4000lbs then your going to need thicker steel. I'm going to make some bumpers for my truck and I'm leaning toward just copying some of the ones on the market. there's no way I'd pay $2500 for $200 worth of steel.
      TB 325
      TB 302
      dynasty 200sd
      spoolmatic 30a/wc24
      suitcase x-treme 12vs
      miller 211
      evolution rage 2

Comment

bumper

Heres mine under way I used 3/16 on main body and 1/2 on supports Still have lots to do.
        Attached Files

Comment

something like this
          http://www.buckstop.biz/index.html
          TB 325
          TB 302
          dynasty 200sd
          spoolmatic 30a/wc24
          suitcase x-treme 12vs
          miller 211
          evolution rage 2

Comment

You are probably right. I figured the weight would be just under 100 pounds. Hmmm. Maybe I will think thinner. I just want it to be really bullet proof.
            "When life gets tough and it looks like the gators are going to get you, step back, take a deep breath, and start killing them one at a time, usually the closest one first."
            -- PAUL HOWE --

Comment

You can "diamond" the frame if you get very brutal...the outside of the bumper becomes a lever. The bumper needs to be somewhat sacrificial to save the frame. Or it can be super heavy between the rails but less outside of them.
              Snowplowing can be a bit much for some frames also.
              I'm not trying to discourage you even one little bit, just arming you with a bit of another perspective.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
              Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
              MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
              Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
              Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
              Miller 30-A Spoolgun
              Miller WC-115-A
              Miller Spectrum 300
              Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
              Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by Scarsman View Post
                You are probably right. I figured the weight would be just under 100 pounds. Hmmm. Maybe I will think thinner. I just want it to be really bullet proof.
                if you design the shape of it right, the bumper will be very durable even made mostly out of 1/8". 3/16" is plenty for a 10,000 truck, and FK is right, you don't want to make it so rigid that it hoses your frame.
                Bobcat 225NT
                Cutmaster 52
                Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
                Caterpillar TH63
                '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

The truck is an '84 S-10 extended cab. It will have a 5" lift on it in the not too distant future. This bumper is not going to have a winch in it. I do not have a winch right now, and I figured when I do finaly have the money to spend on a winch, I will just build another bumper around it, and probably sell this one to someone else.

I realize the strains that can be placed on a frame. I have many years with trucks with plows, and I have seen what they can do to a truck!

I am not looking to make it like a dozer blade, I just want to be sure that if I hook onto it to pull someone out or get pulled out, it is not going to bend or distort.
                  -- PAUL HOWE --

Comment

Originally posted by bretsk2500 View Post
                    if you design the shape of it right, the bumper will be very durable even made mostly out of 1/8". 3/16" is plenty for a 10,000 truck, and FK is right, you don't want to make it so rigid that it hoses your frame.
                    i agree.
                    i didn't give any thickness before, but most of the after market stuff is 3/16 with a 1/4 bracing behind the center. 3/8 frame tie-in's
                    TB 325
                    TB 302
                    dynasty 200sd
                    spoolmatic 30a/wc24
                    suitcase x-treme 12vs
                    miller 211
                    evolution rage 2

Comment

i think this are some of the nicest looking bumpers. (i'm going to copy for my truck ). post picturs of your bumper when you get done.
                      TB 325
                      TB 302
                      dynasty 200sd
                      spoolmatic 30a/wc24
                      suitcase x-treme 12vs
                      miller 211
                      evolution rage 2

Comment

sorry i forgot to put link. http://www.roadarmor.com/site/index.php
                        TB 325
                        TB 302
                        dynasty 200sd
                        spoolmatic 30a/wc24
                        suitcase x-treme 12vs
                        miller 211
                        evolution rage 2

Comment

I made one for my Jeep out of .250 wt rectangular tubing with 3/8" mounts and top plate:
                          Miller Syncrowave 200
                          Homemade Water Cooler
                          130XP MIG
                          Spectrum 375
                          60 year old Logan Lathe
                          Select Machine and Tool Mill
                          More stuff than I can keep track of..

Comment

nice ride nocheepgas
                            TB 325
                            TB 302
                            dynasty 200sd
                            spoolmatic 30a/wc24
                            suitcase x-treme 12vs
                            miller 211
                            evolution rage 2

Comment

Ok, well that does it. I will definately go with lighter metal. I think I am over thinking the strength of it.

VIN MAN those are pretty good looking. Mine will not stick out the front that far. It is going to be somewhat low-profile. This is because a lot of the trails I go on here are VERY tight, and just a few inches sticking out can make a difference. My main goals with this one are for a rock solid tow point and to have maximum approach angle.

I plan to take pictures as I build it. I have a mock-up that I made out of heavy cardboard for choosing the shape and angles. I should be able to get the steel next week after payday, and then I'll be making smoke and sparks!

Thanks for all the info everyone!
                              -- PAUL HOWE --

Comment

Working...
                              X