Bumper metal thickness opinions...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

building a bumper

I'm about to build a bumper for my 2500hd GMC using 3/8" plate for the winch box and frame mounts. I am using a piece of 3" sch. 80 pipe as the base of the bumper with 3/16" diamond plate as a skin for the bumper with 1/4" gussets from the pipe to the plate. Like this one from tough country but with a winch box and winch.
    http://www.toughcountry.com/photos/a...1/P1030980.JPG

Comment

I have a bumper made out of six inch c channel on the front of my toyota. It wraps around the side to meld into the line of the wheel wells. Quarter inch brackets bolt to the frame and a skid plate which angles down and back bolts up to the front of the frame. It has proven to be tough and reliable. I have hit pine trees up to eight inches thick and plowed through the mud and dirt with no problems. It's not the most cosmetically appealing bumper but it works. I took some flak for painting it yellow. My idea was that it was an attention getter to stay out of the way by other drivers on the highway. LOL!!
      Bobcat 225
      Radnor o/a
      An assortment of
      other tools and toys.

The one DANO!

Comment

Any time I build bumpers for anyone I mainly use 3/16 for the skins and 3/8 for the mounts and tow points. Most of my bumpers weigh around 120 to 15lbs...

Comment

Built this last summer for my work truck,it turns heads

Comment

I have myself a truck I'm thinking about making a bumper for...but no one really makes a model specific one.

It doesnt help that its a 1970 C20. Those road armor ones look pretty sick, but Im not sure how something like that would look on my c20.

I was planning on using some 1/4" for the main body, and doubling up for the winch/tow hook mounts.

Also planning on making a rear for it, same material, with an identical winch mount, just in case...

Some good ideas here though, definitely stuff to think about. Thanks guys!
            Precision is only as important as the project...if you're building a rocket ship...1/64" would matter. If you're building a sledgehammer...an 1/8" probably wont.

Comment

DetroitWelder, that looks pretty nice! Is there a winch in the front of that?

On fire most of the time, I know what you mean with your truck. All the bumpers out there are shaped to match the current styling. My truck is an '84 S10, and like yours it is much more square and flat shaped than trucks today. The one I will make will be more flat and square to match the truck. I think, anyway!
              "When life gets tough and it looks like the gators are going to get you, step back, take a deep breath, and start killing them one at a time, usually the closest one first."
              -- PAUL HOWE --

Comment

DetroitWelder, well if i sew that coming at me in the rear view i'd turn my head too. very nice.
                i'll have to see if i can't find a picture of my 90 blazer, i did some bumper work to it. here is a picture of my last truck. nothing for bumpers. sorry.but i turned heads. (there 38")
                Attached Files
                TB 325
                TB 302
                dynasty 200sd
                spoolmatic 30a/wc24
                suitcase x-treme 12vs
                miller 211
                evolution rage 2

Comment

Vin-Man

That 4 door dually really is a one of a kind. Hope you dont mind I save that pic
                  theres something about old body chevy trucks that I just love. One day i'm going to restore one.....That truck would be a great project.What motor did she have?

Comment

I'm gonna guess that one had the 454.
                    "When life gets tough and it looks like the gators are going to get you, step back, take a deep breath, and start killing them one at a time, usually the closest one first."
                    -- PAUL HOWE --

Comment

454, 4 speed(i believe T-92) 4:56 gears. and you should have seen me sliding that thing every chance i got. and in the mud it looked like there was shovel's of mud going though the air.. here is another one.
                      Attached Files
                      TB 325
                      TB 302
                      dynasty 200sd
                      spoolmatic 30a/wc24
                      suitcase x-treme 12vs
                      miller 211
                      evolution rage 2

Comment

Working...
                      X