Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

building a tubing bender

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• building a tubing bender

I would like to make my own tubing bender.....I found these plans.....Watcha think?

http://www.gottrikes.com/Tube_Bender.htm

......also here are some othere made.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...+tubing+bender

There is much discussion on this subject.I came across this not too long ago.Its the best detailed plans and gives all the part numbers needed to build it and its free.I priced the parts to build it,and believe it would be about $1,000. http://reference.toolandfab.com/writ...page/index.htm

Comment

****.....that's a nice writeup! I am only intrested in the manual ratchet style, which would be much cheaper!

Comment

Advice from a tool junky...tubing benders and cheap don't go hand in hand.

Comment

I built 3 of these, 2 for me and 1 for my buddy. But the factory die prices are high. I just make what i need...Bob
          http://www.kinzers.com/don/MachineTools/bender/

Comment

I think by the time you get done purchasing .materials and time plus machinery needed to build alot of this stuff...you can't beat a jd2 at 295 or so......now if you get material for free and have nothing but time what the heck. Just my 2 Cents .....Jim

Comment

Originally posted by uhohjim View Post
              I think by the time you get done purchasing .materials and time plus machinery needed to build alot of this stuff...you can't beat a jd2 at 295 or so......now if you get material for free and have nothing but time what the heck. Just my 2 Cents .....Jim
              X2 on this. you have to value your time spent chasing down material, cutting and drilling the arms and such. Now you can really save yourself some money if you can fab your on dies and followers.

Comment

jd2 is a awesome bender!hard to beat em for the money. ive made a couple of copies of it.All parts are laser cut and exact copies.im looking to sell them.

Comment

Shop Outfitters makes a nice bender too. It seems to be very similar but yet different from something like the JD2. I wish someone would be able to tell me why you might chose one over the other. I've read everything there is on both of those but can't seem to get the answer.

Comment

Shop Outfitters makes a nice bender too. It seems to be very similar but yet different from something like the JD2. I wish someone would be able to tell why you might chose one over the other though, I've read everything there is on both of those but can't seem to figure out the answer.

OOPs....accidental double post!
                    Last edited by GB2; 03-17-2009, 05:18 PM. Reason: Accidental double post

Comment

here is a different style of bender that you might try to copy.
                      http://www.lowbucktools.com/hydbender.html

Comment

Originally posted by 1428turbo View Post
                        jd2 is a awesome bender!hard to beat em for the money. ive made a couple of copies of it.All parts are laser cut and exact copies.im looking to sell them.
                        That sounds like it might head you towards some legal issues!

Comment

Originally posted by GB2 View Post
                          Shop Outfitters makes a nice bender too. It seems to be very similar but yet different from something like the JD2. I wish someone would be able to tell me why you might chose one over the other. I've read everything there is on both of those but can't seem to get the answer.
                          If I'm not mistaken the follow bar on the Shop Outfitters bender is a roller, as opposed to the style of die on the JD2 model. I've heard that the roller style did not perform as well as the other, leading to more distortion in the bending radius.

Comment

just looked up the JD bender and that JD32 looks nice for $375.

Comment

Originally posted by nocheepgas View Post
                              That sounds like it might head you towards some legal issues!
                              Maybe, but most of the bender designs out there were taken from the original Hossfeld bender which appears to now be in the public domain through the expiration of the original patent. For the small amount saved buying a pirated copy it would make more sense instead just to fabricate one of your own design from the number of plans and articles out there on the Internet if saving money was a top priority. Benders are cheap, whether manufactured or fabricated, the dies are where the companies make their money. Personal opinion, but if I were one of the bender companies and you wished to buy an exact copy of the bender I built from someone else I would be quite happy with your choice knowing the dies sales were coming.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.