Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

need help with stick welding up.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah your getting it now James. Looking real good bud.

Hey Bert....I may need some of your help ohhh say around February.

Comment

James, your stickwelds are bout the same as mine , rember I just stared stick welding , Only thing different is I hold the stinger closer to the bottom

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
        James, Jonnymag wants you to be a hand model
        Bert,

Hey, I'm just a beginner who's still trying to find a grip to hold the stinger a little steadier. Besides, you're the one who told me to watch those manufacturer's reps if I wanted to get better. So if jwsrep showed James a new grip, then I should want to see it too, right?

Originally posted by jwsrep View Post
        Hey Bert....I may need some of your help ohhh say around February.
        JWS,

Sorry, but if you've been following Bert's story, you know he'll still be busy painting his dad's house in February

James,

Wow. That much improvement in just 2 sessions. Man, I really gotta start putting in more hours of practice time

Comment

i'll help paint the house if he pays for the plain ticket.

thanks jonnymag, i'm really pleased with my progress so far. i think its really about figuring out a good way to hold the stick and then how much filler comes off it. its surprisingly slow IMO. so i had to slow down a bunch to let it fill in the hole it burns when it first moves. its like move burn a hole fill it in then move. burn a hole and fill it in and move again. it goes much slower than i always thought it would. seeing it done right really helped. i would have just been burning holes for ever if i had not had jwsrep help to see you need to wait and fill them. i kept trying to go faster to keep from burning holes but really i needed to go slower so i could fill them back up again.

Comment

James, remember to save the pic of when you first started! Like night and day!!! Keep it up buddy
            jwsrep...yeah, by February, I should be starting on the right side of the house
            jonnymag=

Comment

by February, I should be starting on the right side of the house
              cool so how about it, you pay the plain fare i'll paint the house for ya, then we can play with the welding stuff.

Comment

ok, but I'll have to break into my dauyghter's piggy bank!!!
                no more dog treats for her!!!!

Comment

re fun 4 now

you dont have to clean the slag every rod,if your quick enough changing rods you can burn into your tie in nicely without any inclusions etc(trust me on this and try it out for yourself)itll save you alot of time when you need it.

Comment

Looking very nice for no longer than you have been at it. I've known so-called pros that weren't that good. Of course all they did was chase drilling rigs.

Cut your upward travel by about half and it should smooth it out quite a bit. It will take some experimenting, but you will get it. Truth is I am not as smooth as I used to be. My eyes are shot.

I will have to get someone to take a pic of my uphill grip. It is a little different and involves bending the rod, but it works really good for me. I don't have near the normal range of motion in my wrist so I have to compensate

Comment

I will have to get someone to take a pic of my uphill grip. It is a little different and involves bending the rod, but it works really good for me
                      cool, always good to try new options.
                      getting some one else to take the pic is a good idea, it was harder than i thought to take a pic of my own hand. although the welding gloves probably didn't help the situation.
                      how about a few pic's of your welds wile you are at it.
                      you don't have to clean the slag every rod,if your quick enough changing rods you can burn into your tie in nicely without any inclusions etc(trust me on this and try it out for yourself)it'll save you alot of time when you need it.
                      i was thinking stick welding was kinds slow, even considering my lack of experience. i also thought the time used to clean allowed the metal to cool a bit. seemed like by the time i got to the 3rd stick i had to turn down the amps a bit. am i messing up or should i just hold longer to fill more as it heats up and cuts in deeper??

Comment

seemed like by the time i got to the 3rd stick i had to turn down the amps a bit.

That is normal in uphill welding, especially with 7018 because heat rises. You will also see it in MIG. I normally just pull out and let things cool back down a little bit if it gets to be a problem. It has a lot to do with the thickness of the parts you are joining. The heavier (thicker) they are the less problem it becomes because there is more area for the heat to spread to. It doesn't hurt anything to turn down a little when it gets to that point.

Comment

jwsrep...yeah, by February, I should be starting on the right side of the house
                          jonnymag=
                          Hey Bert....is now a good time to tell you I have a real bad case of tennis elbow?

Comment

Hey Rich! I bet that "tennis elbow" won't bother you if I take you fishing for mahi mahi, ahi or a marling, eh????

Comment

. It has a lot to do with the thickness of the parts you are joining. The heavier (thicker) they are the less problem it becomes because there is more area for the heat to spread to.
                              my coupons were red almost yellow. it definitely had some built up heat. i'm starting to see some definite disadvantages to stick. for some reason i always saw stick as a fairly fast process. not shore why, maybe i just figured it would have to be a fast process to be out on the pipe lines when they are trying to get the stuff laid as fast as possible. i suspect every one is faster then me but i still see it having some real speed bumps. thats not to say it doesn't have some advantages, i just thought it would cover more per stick. thinking of 2 or 3 passes seems like a real time killer one stick at a time.

thanks for all the help guys. i'm still trying to get this down and really appreciate all the tips and help.

Comment

Hey Rich! I bet that "tennis elbow" won't bother you if I take you fishing for mahi mahi, ahi or a marling, eh????

I would list that under physical therapy

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.