Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

need help with stick welding up.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not Bad

I think the only thing you realy need to do now is slow down and pause a little longer on the sides.other than that it's really not that bad at all.Good work.

Comment

James,
      It was good to meet you today. Keep at it. Practice pratice practice.

Comment

Darmik, i don't know if its seeing the slag droop or just my ADDHD but i have trouble waiting before moving. i'm supposed to be doing a 1-1,000 2-1,000 3-1,000 then move. i'll get it just gotta get used to it. how to hold the stinger was a big help.
        jwsrep, great to meat you as well. i'll keep at it. Saturday i'll find the time to burn up as much of that rod as i can. thanks again for all the help and the coupons.
        James

Comment

You are more than welcome. Remember if you need me you know how to get ahold of me.

Comment

Good luck on your uphill. And like jwsrep said, practice, practice, practice, cause that is the only way you will get it. As for ac vs dc maybe it's just because I've been at this so long I can't really tell a difference anymore, but 7018 is an ac rod, and like any ac rod has a stabilized arc characteristic, which means it runs even better on dc. If you get it down on dc then ac is a breeze. You always run 7018 dcep, it will run dcen, but dcen with 7018 is not legal in any code I am aware of. You can get by on 1/4" using 3/32 uphill and thinner after you get it down. Ten guage and smaller get some 6010/6011 and run it downhill.

Comment

thanks Jolly Roger, i'm going to make some time to burn up a bunch tomorrow. so with a little luck i'll have some good pic's for you all tomorrow night.
              we were running it on DCEP. so thats what i'm going to stick with. i would rather learn it on DCEP and have AC be easy later then do it the easy way and have trouble later.
              wish me luck.

Comment

jwsrep, nice to show James a few things! I offered to help James, but he didn't want to fly down here!!!! Nice that you guys are so close together

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                  jwsrep stopped by this after noon and showed me what it should look like and gave me a better idea of what i should be doing and a new way to hold the stinger.
                  jwsrep,
                  Do you have a picture of that grip? I'm always interested in finding a better way to do things.

Comment

James, Jonnymag wants you to be a hand model

Comment

oh, btw, James, GREAT improvement!!!
                      bert

Comment

jonnymag
                        Do you have a picture of that grip? I'm always interested in finding a better way to do things

i'll pop a pic of it tomarow.............. today realy. for ya

Comment

well i got to play for a little bit, here are the results and the way i griped it.......kinda sorta i think, some thing like this. sorry i'm not 100% shore thats how he showed me but its close. mainly its about grabbing up close to the top to keep the wobble down.
                          i'm just going to post up the pic's as i took them. some are the first stick and as it goes on i show some restarts where i started the next stick after i ran out. as you may guess not all the restarts with the 2nd stick went so well.
                          Attached Files

Comment

a few more. i did my best to just get good pic's, and kept all but my last piece in small size. for fast load and view.
                            Attached Files

Comment

some more........
                              Attached Files

Comment

here are the last of them. i ran the hole way from bottom to top with 3 or 4 sticks restarting as needed. i cleaned off all the slag before restarting.
                                for my first real day of putting some time in doing the up weld i think i di ok. feel free to give advice good or bad.

all these were done with 1/8" 7018 DCEP at 110amps on some 1/4" steel.
                                thanks

anyone know how to adjust the dig on a TA-185 ?? or if you can ?? i guess i better go over the manual again as i have no idea what its set at ??.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.