Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stainless ?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless ?

I have a small project here. It's a brush frame for an industrial vacuum cleaner.
    My question is, can I weld this with the ER70S I have on the shelf or do a need to get stainless filler. The reason I ask is it's 1.5 to 2 hours round trip to the nearest welding supply. This is a non-pay job, so if I can get by with the filler I have (and it won't crack) it sure would make life easier. If it just plain won't work I'll make the trek to the store.
    Thanks

Last edited by pro70z28; 03-05-2009, 07:16 AM.

Originally posted by pro70z28 View Post
    I have a small project here. It's a brush frame for an industrial vacuum cleaner.
    My question is, can I weld this with the ER70S I have on the shelf or do a need to get stainless filler. The reason I ask is it's 1.5 to 2 hours round trip to the nearest welding supply. This is a non-pay job, so if I can get by with the filler I have (and it won't crack) it sure would make life easier. If it just plain won't work I'll make the trek to the store.
    Thanks

Simply put, yes you can, cracking won't be a issue but it will rust.
    Funny thing, cheaper grades of stainless will rust and are also magnetic.

Comment

This is an old vac our church has that's no longer made & this is one part they can no longer get. We are just trying to make it last a little longer. Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot with the filler I have.

I just checked it and it is very slightly magnetic.
      Last edited by pro70z28; 03-05-2009, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Low grade stainless, you will be just fine with what you have. You gonna Tig it?

Not much thickness there.

Good luck and let us know how you did...

Comment

Yes, I plan to TIG it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

Well, I said I would post "post pics." so here they are but I'm not at all proud of the outcome. I got the outside smooth so it won't snag the carpet & the inside really isn't a bead it's more of a casting. There's plenty of filler and I got it to flow to both sides of the break so it should hold. Just not a lot of room to weld & see the weld at the same time. We'll give it a try. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
              Looks good from my house.

Comment

Working...
              X
              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.