Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welded Farm Art

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welded Farm Art

Hi All!
    I just joined the forum and wanted to introduce myself. I am a retired mechanical engineering designer, 35 years. I started stick welding and gas cutting on the farm when I was probably 10 years old. Learned the hard way to not stare at Grandpa welding when I was about 6.... Ha! Ooh! what eye pain that night!

In 94 I bought a Millermatic 130/gas to do some tinkering with and it grew into this hobby. I can't make the large welds as the pros do, but I can sure butter a weld across a corner of a 16 ga. edge. I can also weld two ends of a thin wire together. It's 90% sound and 10% trigger speed.

I also do some early Corvette frame restoratioin for a friend, along with some miscellaneous steel shop weldments and repairs for friends and neighbors.

The Millermatic is my best friend errr next to my wife and dogs. Right now it is at the hospital gettting some wire feed problems resolved.

I read where some guys are lambasting the electronic helmet, but I have to say my quality on this tiny stuff doubled once I got the helmet. Prior to that it was set-up, close eyes, fire. A friend warned me that guys have gone blind welding with their eyelids closed. Decided I needed the electronic setup.

Hope to visit often and pickup ideas and get help.

To see more of my projects visit my Photobucket Site:
    <Click Here>

Weld On!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kmomaha; 03-02-2009, 07:49 PM.

Welcome to the forum kmomaha.

The parade piece is a fine looking work of art man. Did I read correctly that you did all your work on that with the 130? I looked at a few of the pics on photo bucket, very nice work. Do you have an idea of about how many hours you spent on the parade piece? I wish I had the time and imagination to create such a piece.

Tom

Comment

Welcome to the forum. That is some very nice work. Very nice.

Comment

You sir are truly an artist.
        Wheelchair

Comment

Project Time

Thanks guys ; Glad you enjoy. I spent an hour just going thru the Welded Art threads myself. Lot of neat pieces there also. Weldments of any kind are great art done by fine artists to me.

I spend about 20 hours on a windmill, depending on what sculpture I put with it. The "Farm Parade" took me about 200 hrs. The horses were a work of frustration, but did come out pretty good in the end.

Yes, everything is done with a Millermatic 130 with .023 wire. Some guys accuse me of casting some of the pieces.

I have gone thru about 11 twelve pound spools since 94.

I use 22 ga. for all flat piece work. Bases are 10 ga. The rest is made up of nails, re-bar wire, keystock, nuts, bolts, nail heads, brake tubing. All the "grind back" is the down side of this hobby as it does make a sooty mess around the shop.

Comment

I appreciate your skill. Great work...........Nick

Comment

Great work!!!!!!! I mean awesome.. this is stuff i want to get into doing when i'm not working on customer projects, but would like to know where people find the little stock to use for making stuff liek this

sent you a PM too

Glenn

Comment

Cool stuff post more.

Comment

Really nice art work. Thanks for sharing.
                  Welcome to our forum..
                  Jim

Comment

Very cool stuff dude, I checked out some of your pics when I first got on over on the weldingweb site. I dig it

Comment

Farm Art

kmomaha: That is incredible detail! You retired from PKS? Just curious, the address and all.

Dave

Comment

Newest Project

Here is an update on my latest project.

It is a John Deere 70 with a mounted No.100 Sugar Beet Harvester. It will have two or three kids riding on the back with Pa running the rig. Just like I remember the good ol days in the mid to late 50's in the Yellowstone Valley. Will mount it in a field of sugar beets with leaves of steel. My memories

Have been working on this thing for a year, as we moved to a different place and haven't been able to get back to it till now. I don't want the parts too perfect as it would take too long and look too much like a model. I want it very evident that it was hand cut and welded. Like a painting you don't want to look too close at it. The most difficult part was the rear tractor wheels and tires. They aren't perfect by any means, but that is just the way the brush strokes fell. One must maintain general symmetry and straightness or it will turn into a distorted pile of junk.

The rear tires were the hardest pieces. To make them I made a full circle half dougnut mold in oak and beat two halves of 22 ga. into it. Then welded the two halves together and welded the turkey tracks to it. Lot of grinding back using Mr. Dremel. Tried bending 5/8" rod around a pipe, but couldn't get the bend sharp enough. That is a single wire around a ground groove in the front tire to make the rib. The weld is on the bottom. ...........Ken
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by davedarragh View Post
                          kmomaha: That is incredible detail! You retired from PKS? Just curious, the address and all.

Dave
                          Dave; Thanks; Not PKS but Army Corps of Engineers .. just down the street.
                          Powerplant Engineering ...Ken

Comment

Incredible!

Originally posted by kmomaha View Post
                            Dave; Thanks; Not PKS but Army Corps of Engineers .. just down the street.
                            Powerplant Engineering ...Ken

Ken: That is an art talent envied by many. Very good work!

Dave

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.