Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What joint to use?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What joint to use?

Hello everyone,
    Planning a future project out of 22 or 24 g. SS sheet metal that will basically be a funnel shape that will be for Food service use. Initially I had hoped to spin it on a lathe but don't have the expertise to do it this way so have opted to weld it up. The question is- is a butt joint better or a lap joint? The joint doesn't have to be completely smooth but cannot have crevices where food can get trapped. I would appreciate your input.
    Thanks,
    Gene

What will be the dimensions ?

Comment

I would butt it with a small gap then grind it smooth on the inside...Bob

Comment

I second the butt weld, and grind inside smooth. Do you have a slip roll? This would be the best way to form this. Using a brake is also good.

Comment

Originally posted by fabricator View Post
          What will be the dimensions ?
          5 1/2 in. diameter opening at the large end, 3 in. at the small end, and 5 inches tall. I have searched high and low for a pre- made one but either the openings were the wrong size or the taper was too steep.
          Thanks,
          Gene

Comment

Originally posted by wrenchnride247 View Post
            I second the butt weld, and grind inside smooth. Do you have a slip roll? This would be the best way to form this. Using a brake is also good.
            I wish a had a slip roll or a brake but I'll have to use good ole' fashioned "persuasion"!!!
            Thanks,
            Gene

Comment

Originally posted by genet View Post
              I wish a had a slip roll or a brake but I'll have to use good ole' fashioned "persuasion"!!!
              Thanks,
              Gene
              Thats gona be tuff, use a butt weld.
              Got a sheet metal shop close by and get them to roll it for you.

Comment

Working...
              X
              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.