Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rehabbing a gooseneck Car hauler. Trailer Gods....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joey-D
    started a topic Rehabbing a gooseneck Car hauler. Trailer Gods....

Rehabbing a gooseneck Car hauler. Trailer Gods....

Ok I just did some horse trading to get this trailer. All the sides and expanded steel and gate is coming off. I am gusseting the neck and adding a 2' dovetail. I am running new 5 inch Channel the length of the trailer. Currently the gooseneck hits the 5 inch channel and runs to the front of the axles. There is a piece of 2x3 angle running the length. Not quite strong enough for me. So I pull the wood and run the channel next to the angle? When I add crossmembers should I use 3" channel, 2x3 angle, 2x2x.120 tubing or something else? Should I move the axles back if I am adding the dovetail? The trailer has 2 3500lb axles with brakes on both. I plan on towing new cars and trucks, but occasionally my Buddy's cummins whenever it breaks down. I am pulling the wood now as I wait for my plasma consumables to come from hong kong in the mail.
    Last edited by Joey-D; 02-24-2009, 05:46 PM. Reason: Took out pictures so it could be read

• bkmall
    replied
    Originally posted by Joey-D View Post
    That would be even better at 20%.

I was looking around on good ol craigslist and found some steals on steel.
    http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mat/1026884935.html
    So I was thinking 6" channel with 3" angle crossmembers. A stick of 5" at the yard was $112 for a 20fter. 6" from this guy was $60 before haggling. By the way if you ever need a quick steel quote use this website
    http://www.metalsdepot.com/index.phtml?aident=
    Shipping is crazy but I have ordered small quantities from them before.
    Shipping is usually the b! when trying to order metals online. I bought some stainles steel sheet metal and angle from these guys some weeks past, http://www.commercemetals.com/, and shipping was somewhere around $18 for the whole lot. Got a 30"x30" chunk of 2b and a 48" piece of 2"x2"x3/16" angle.

Leave a comment:

• davedarragh
    replied
    CDL Requirements

CFR 49 Part 391 will answer your DOT Phys Exam Cert questions.

Class A, B, & C requirements and compliance and endorsements

Exemptions for Agri, Recreational, Military

For Hire regulations regarding Intrastate and/or Interstate USDOT registration for vehilces and operating authority

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations

USDOT.gov

I see AZ DPS pull over these "dually" Dodge trucks hauling multiple vehilces on goosenecks all the time.

Leave a comment:

• Sonora Iron
    replied
    Originally posted by vin-man welding View Post
    but you need a health card or dot card for any thing over 10,000 like your truck with no trailer. (fed law)
    Isn't that for professionals drivers only?
    http://www.querycat.com/question/cda...0844dc0c3b97f2

Leave a comment:

• vin-man welding
    replied
    you don't need a CDL till 26.000 but you need a health card or dot card for any thing over 10,000 like your truck with no trailer. (fed law) and i bet you insurance company never told you. my ins company didn't know till i told them. and if your wondering no health card your license is invalided.

Leave a comment:

• Badd00SS
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
    The X-bracing material doesn’t have to be anything substantial. Being as the A-frame is C-channel maybe go with some 1 1/2 inch C-channel, or angle, whatever you desire.

Remember that 14,000 lb. trailer in the link was designed or at least approved by an engineer! You are upping the annie with your trailer. You may not need the X-bracing, it was just a suggestion.

I think this is what FusionKing was commenting on, if so I agree 150%!
    If not this is what I would do, don’t know why I missed it this morning.
    Really dont need an X brace, here is the 40'6/ 33' deck trailer I built about 1.5 years ago, cant see the size, but the gussets I used were 2'x2'x1/4" thick triangles, I think something similar would help him.

I have a ton of 1/8" plate I cut off this trailer but that would probably be too thin for those gussets.
    Waay too flimsy IMHO, 1/4" is a decent size

Does anyone know if you need a CDL for a tri axles trailer rated at 10500lb? My buddy said so. I haven't call the modot yet. The trailer is sitting right now as I get some money together for the new steel.
    No, unless your truck is especially large, more than 26,000lbs gcw is the limit. Basically, my trailer is a 14k, truck is 9200, puts me @ 23,200 gcw. If you have a newer dually, most will put you into CDL-A class with their 12,500/13,000 gvwr...

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    Does anyone know if you need a CDL for a tri axles trailer rated at 10500lb? My buddy said so. I haven't call the modot yet. The trailer is sitting right now as I get some money together for the new steel.
    I doubt it

Leave a comment:

• Sonora Iron
    replied
    Does anyone know if you need a CDL for a tri axles trailer rated at 10500lb? My buddy said so. I haven't call the modot yet.
    Not unless you go over 26,000lbs gross combined.
    Far as I know.

Leave a comment:

• Joey-D
    replied

Leave a comment:

• vin-man welding
    replied
    if theres a trailer place around stop by with your camera and tape measure that will give you a good idea of where to put the third axle. and from the pic's id look at something for tyeing the spring hangers together.

Leave a comment:

• Joey-D
    replied
    I have a ton of 1/8" plate I cut off this trailer but that would probably be too thin for those gussets.

Leave a comment:

• Sonora Iron
    replied
    The X-bracing material doesnít have to be anything substantial. Being as the A-frame is C-channel maybe go with some 1 1/2 inch C-channel, or angle, whatever you desire.

Remember that 14,000 lb. trailer in the link was designed or at least approved by an engineer! You are upping the annie with your trailer. You may not need the X-bracing, it was just a suggestion.

I think this is what FusionKing was commenting on, if so I agree 150%!
    If not this is what I would do, donít know why I missed it this morning.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Joey-D
    replied
    Here is a link to a 14K tandem with 6" channel gooseneck, 6 inch channel frame, 3 inch channel crossmembers. But it isn't x-ed up on the gooseneck.
    http://www.kaufmantrailers.com/heavy...eneck-p17.html

Leave a comment:

• Joey-D
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
    I would add 6 inch channel at the top of the bulkhead, another one where the A-frame makes itís turn down to the coupler, and X brace where drawn in red and blue. Also add a brace under where the A-frame turns down.
    When you say brace it, type of material do think I should use?

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    I would run another piece of that channel under the crossmembers the entire length of the trailer with the flanges turned downward. That would tie it all together better and stop the crossmembers from collapsing like they did before as well as cutting the racking in half.
    Yes you need to strengthen the gooseneck as well with a rearward gusset also and it will need a flange on it, not just a piece of flat metal.
    It should go somewhat higher than the forward one so the cross section is wider in that area. The one it has already doesn't look like anything to write home about either.
    Look at trailer mfg's websites for ideas and keep your eyes peeled around home as well for good ideas for gusseting these areas.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X