Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rehabbing a gooseneck Car hauler. Trailer Gods....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heck I think your idea is pretty well thought out myself, and don't see any reason why it would not be a whole bunch stronger, as long as you do a good job welding and fitting it together. The existing set-up looked to be pretty flimsy and also overloaded at some point in it's lifetime. The existing frame (on the sides) with the expanded metal is carrying a good bit of the load, so replacing that with the channel will help a bunch. Some kind of diagonal brace replacing that area up front sure wouldn't hurt. That is if I understood your planning to remove all of that correctly. And a couple more stringers run down the middle would be a good idea as well. Using the size channel that fits the tightest makes the most sense to me.

Getting it clean enuff to make strong enuff welds will be one of your bigger challenges.

What type of welding machine are you going to use (and don't say some 115v mig machine) Chances are the underneath or overhead welds will be the ones that give you the most trouble. If you do plan on using a weak mig then re-think this and either get a bigger mig or stick weld it. If you are a good welder with a powerful machine then please excuse me...we have a quite a history here of people posting trailer projects and wanting to weld them with machine that will not provide safe welds. Safety is your biggest concern in a project of this magnitude.
    One thing you might think about is the angle has a web in the inside corner and the outside corner of the channel is sharp so they will not fit entirely perfect.
    Great job on the pics(IMO) and can't wait to see how you progress with this project

BTW...for those who have dificulty reading the text with the larger pics I'll tell you how I read them...I simply click the "quote" and then read it and then go back and review the pics. Not perfect but it allows me to read and move on instead of getting away from the real questions

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

I will be welding it with my millermatic 251.

What is the math for the axle location? If I add 2' dovetail to the back I think I will be in the right location but now would be the time to move them. Isn't it something like 1' back from center? And center would be the over all length of the trailer. Dovetail to gooseneck.

And also on the goosneck hitch, you have the 2 verticals coming up from the front of the deck. Then there is a horizontal that is just a piece of angle iron. Should I replace that? I plan on gusseting the 30* miter but was wondering if I should do more.

Here are some pictures from yesterday. I got a late start as I was waiting on my consumables from hong kong for my plasma. And also had to make an extension cord for the welder and plasma.
      2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins
      25' Hydraulic Tilt Lowboy Gooseneck
      1997 Corvette 6 Speed
      Harley Hardtail Bobber
      Millermatic 251 with 30A spoolgun
      Syncrowave 180SD
      Cut40 Plasma Cutter

Comment

2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins
        1997 Corvette 6 Speed
        Harley Hardtail Bobber
        Syncrowave 180SD
        Cut40 Plasma Cutter

Comment

Originally posted by joey-d View Post
          what is the math for the axle location?
          60 40 %.......

Here this might help.

http://www.trailerplans.com/index.ph...d=40&Itemid=29
          Last edited by Sonora Iron; 02-26-2009, 01:24 PM.
          Caution!
          These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins
            1997 Corvette 6 Speed
            Harley Hardtail Bobber
            Syncrowave 180SD
            Cut40 Plasma Cutter

Comment

Day three. I cut the rest of the stuff off and started grinding the slag from plasma cutting the expanded steel off. Welded back in the cross supports I had taken out to remove the floor.

After doing the math for the axle locations, I realized I need to move them back if I add the dovetail. Which would be a lot of work. But then my buddy realized if I make the trailer 19'8" long I can leave the two axles where they are and add a third. I was gonna make the trailer 18' over all, why not add another foot and a half. If I add a third axle it now makes it a 10500 lb trailer. I don't think I need a three axle lowboy, but why not go big or go home. If I run 6" channel and plenty of crossmember I should be more than strong enough. Then I never have to worry about hauling the cummins. But do I need to beef up the gooseneck for the 10K load?
              2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins
              1997 Corvette 6 Speed
              Harley Hardtail Bobber
              Syncrowave 180SD
              Cut40 Plasma Cutter

Comment

Just realize with three axles you cut your turning radius, not so much as cut the radius but puts a lot of wear on the front axle tires when making sharp turns.
                Caution!

Comment

as Sonora Iron wrote 60-40% thats a good start.
                  now as for the question if trailer GVW. i don't want to get in to the legal stuff. but the trailer counts as part of the GVW so look at it this way 7100 lbs truck 2200 lbs =9300 lbs. i pull my 10,000 lbs GVW trailer with my 8400 lbs skidsteer. and i wish i got a bigger trailer. it's ok around town but the trailer tires and axles really don't like the weight.
                  and nice truck i have a white 01 chevy 3500 x-cab dually.
                  TB 325
                  TB 302
                  dynasty 200sd
                  spoolmatic 30a/wc24
                  suitcase x-treme 12vs
                  miller 211
                  evolution rage 2

Comment

i got to type faster .lol
                    TB 325
                    TB 302
                    dynasty 200sd
                    spoolmatic 30a/wc24
                    suitcase x-treme 12vs
                    miller 211
                    evolution rage 2

Comment

Just an idea for more strength. Less weight, more strength.
                      Attached Files
                      Caution!

Comment

Also, are you gonna straighten the frame right behind the axle on the right side?

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                        Miller WC-115-A
                        Miller Spectrum 300
                        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by Joey-D View Post
                          Day three. I cut the rest of the stuff off and started grinding the slag from plasma cutting the expanded steel off. Welded back in the cross supports I had taken out to remove the floor.

After doing the math for the axle locations, I realized I need to move them back if I add the dovetail. Which would be a lot of work. But then my buddy realized if I make the trailer 19'8" long I can leave the two axles where they are and add a third. I was gonna make the trailer 18' over all, why not add another foot and a half. If I add a third axle it now makes it a 10500 lb trailer. I don't think I need a three axle lowboy, but why not go big or go home. If I run 6" channel and plenty of crossmember I should be more than strong enough. Then I never have to worry about hauling the cummins. But do I need to beef up the gooseneck for the 10K load?
                          if your going to do all that how about going deckover ?? then you can push it out to 102 inchs.
                          TB 325
                          TB 302
                          dynasty 200sd
                          spoolmatic 30a/wc24
                          suitcase x-treme 12vs
                          miller 211
                          evolution rage 2

Comment

2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins
                            1997 Corvette 6 Speed
                            Harley Hardtail Bobber
                            Syncrowave 180SD
                            Cut40 Plasma Cutter

Comment

Red will be channel, Green will be probably angle, channel, or tube crossmembers and white will be the third axle. I don't want a deck over because I want the low deck height for loading low clearance cars. I will have a dovetail, but still I need it low. Also I will have removable fenders if I ever have to load something wider than 82" inches. Do you think I need to strengthen the gooseneck? I like the truss idea, but don't want the height.
                              2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins
                              1997 Corvette 6 Speed
                              Harley Hardtail Bobber
                              Syncrowave 180SD
                              Cut40 Plasma Cutter

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
                                Also, are you gonna straighten the frame right behind the axle on the right side?
                                When I put the channel on there I will heat up and straighten the angle and weld it to the channel.
                                2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins
                                1997 Corvette 6 Speed
                                Harley Hardtail Bobber
                                Syncrowave 180SD
                                Cut40 Plasma Cutter

Comment

Working...
                                X