Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rehabbing a gooseneck Car hauler. Trailer Gods....

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would add 6 inch channel at the top of the bulkhead, another one where the A-frame makes it’s turn down to the coupler, and X brace where drawn in red and blue. Also add a brace under where the A-frame turns down.
    Attached Files

Comment

I would run another piece of that channel under the crossmembers the entire length of the trailer with the flanges turned downward. That would tie it all together better and stop the crossmembers from collapsing like they did before as well as cutting the racking in half.
      Yes you need to strengthen the gooseneck as well with a rearward gusset also and it will need a flange on it, not just a piece of flat metal.
      It should go somewhat higher than the forward one so the cross section is wider in that area. The one it has already doesn't look like anything to write home about either.
      Look at trailer mfg's websites for ideas and keep your eyes peeled around home as well for good ideas for gusseting these areas.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
        I would add 6 inch channel at the top of the bulkhead, another one where the A-frame makes it’s turn down to the coupler, and X brace where drawn in red and blue. Also add a brace under where the A-frame turns down.
        When you say brace it, type of material do think I should use?

Comment

Here is a link to a 14K tandem with 6" channel gooseneck, 6 inch channel frame, 3 inch channel crossmembers. But it isn't x-ed up on the gooseneck.
          http://www.kaufmantrailers.com/heavy...eneck-p17.html

Comment

The X-bracing material doesn’t have to be anything substantial. Being as the A-frame is C-channel maybe go with some 1 1/2 inch C-channel, or angle, whatever you desire.

Remember that 14,000 lb. trailer in the link was designed or at least approved by an engineer! You are upping the annie with your trailer. You may not need the X-bracing, it was just a suggestion.

I think this is what FusionKing was commenting on, if so I agree 150%!
            If not this is what I would do, don’t know why I missed it this morning.
            Attached Files

Comment

I have a ton of 1/8" plate I cut off this trailer but that would probably be too thin for those gussets.

Comment

if theres a trailer place around stop by with your camera and tape measure that will give you a good idea of where to put the third axle. and from the pic's id look at something for tyeing the spring hangers together.

Comment

Does anyone know if you need a CDL for a tri axles trailer rated at 10500lb? My buddy said so. I haven't call the modot yet. The trailer is sitting right now as I get some money together for the new steel.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey-D View Post
                    Does anyone know if you need a CDL for a tri axles trailer rated at 10500lb? My buddy said so. I haven't call the modot yet.
                    Not unless you go over 26,000lbs gross combined.
                    Far as I know.

Comment

Does anyone know if you need a CDL for a tri axles trailer rated at 10500lb? My buddy said so. I haven't call the modot yet. The trailer is sitting right now as I get some money together for the new steel.
                      I doubt it

Comment

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
                        The X-bracing material doesn’t have to be anything substantial. Being as the A-frame is C-channel maybe go with some 1 1/2 inch C-channel, or angle, whatever you desire.

Remember that 14,000 lb. trailer in the link was designed or at least approved by an engineer! You are upping the annie with your trailer. You may not need the X-bracing, it was just a suggestion.

I think this is what FusionKing was commenting on, if so I agree 150%!
                        If not this is what I would do, don’t know why I missed it this morning.
                        Really dont need an X brace, here is the 40'6/ 33' deck trailer I built about 1.5 years ago, cant see the size, but the gussets I used were 2'x2'x1/4" thick triangles, I think something similar would help him.

I have a ton of 1/8" plate I cut off this trailer but that would probably be too thin for those gussets.
                        Waay too flimsy IMHO, 1/4" is a decent size

No, unless your truck is especially large, more than 26,000lbs gcw is the limit. Basically, my trailer is a 14k, truck is 9200, puts me @ 23,200 gcw. If you have a newer dually, most will put you into CDL-A class with their 12,500/13,000 gvwr...

Comment

you don't need a CDL till 26.000 but you need a health card or dot card for any thing over 10,000 like your truck with no trailer. (fed law) and i bet you insurance company never told you. my ins company didn't know till i told them. and if your wondering no health card your license is invalided.

Comment

Originally posted by vin-man welding View Post
                            but you need a health card or dot card for any thing over 10,000 like your truck with no trailer. (fed law)
                            Isn't that for professionals drivers only?
                            http://www.querycat.com/question/cda...0844dc0c3b97f2

Comment

CDL Requirements

CFR 49 Part 391 will answer your DOT Phys Exam Cert questions.

Class A, B, & C requirements and compliance and endorsements

Exemptions for Agri, Recreational, Military

For Hire regulations regarding Intrastate and/or Interstate USDOT registration for vehilces and operating authority

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations

USDOT.gov

I see AZ DPS pull over these "dually" Dodge trucks hauling multiple vehilces on goosenecks all the time.

Comment

That would be even better at 20%.

I was looking around on good ol craigslist and found some steals on steel.
                                http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mat/1026884935.html
                                So I was thinking 6" channel with 3" angle crossmembers. A stick of 5" at the yard was $112 for a 20fter. 6" from this guy was $60 before haggling. By the way if you ever need a quick steel quote use this website
                                http://www.metalsdepot.com/index.phtml?aident=
                                Shipping is crazy but I have ordered small quantities from them before.
                                Shipping is usually the b! when trying to order metals online. I bought some stainles steel sheet metal and angle from these guys some weeks past, http://www.commercemetals.com/, and shipping was somewhere around $18 for the whole lot. Got a 30"x30" chunk of 2b and a 48" piece of 2"x2"x3/16" angle.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.