Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what size channel for neck on gooseneck trailer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what size channel for neck on gooseneck trailer?

what size channel should i use for the hitch neck for a 7000lb 18' trailer? i got a 18' bumperpull that i want to convert to a gooseneck and need to know what size channel to use i was thinkin 6" #8 for it and have the gussets all made out of the 6" also for the bracing at the 90's
    MM 251
    DYNASTY 200DX
    SPECTRUM 625
    STARTS AND STRIPES BIG WINDOW ELITE

A single 6 inch x 8.2# channel in an 8 feet span is good for 2,460 lbs.
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on my experiences in my little bitty world.

Comment

Why not 6" I beam? or 2 6" channels back to back...Bob
      Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
      http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

is the frame of the trailer made out of the same channel? the last one i did had an I beam frame so i just extended it out and used the same material.
        sigpic
        Miller Trailblazer 302
        Smith Torch Outfit
        Lots of Grinders
        Miller Elite Autodark Hood
        O'l Trusty Jackson

Comment

I was in the same boat as you until last weekend. I was going to cut off the tongue of my 18 Car hauler and weld a gooseneck on. Instead I traded straight across for this monstacity. I cut the dovetail off my old trailer before trading it for this one. I plan on cutting all the bull**** off this thing to make it a dovetail car hauler. I couldn't pass up the deal. It had two 3500lb axles, both with brakes, actual trailer tires, break-a-way system, 82" between fenders and 16' deck, (plus 2' more for my dovetail). Anyhow this trailer has 6" channel for the neck. I you need any pictures or measurements off this thing just let me know. I am not saying this thing is built right, I am just saying it is built. I will include all the pictures here. Also I had been saving pictures of others coverting their car haulers to gooseneck. I will post those too. Hope this helps. P.S. I would check around to trading because that steel is gonna be expensive. My guy no longer had a truck so no gooseneck hitch. Also check out this trailer. My dream.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110284112581

2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins
          25' Hydraulic Tilt Lowboy Gooseneck
          1997 Corvette 6 Speed
          Harley Hardtail Bobber
          Millermatic 251 with 30A spoolgun
          Syncrowave 180SD
          Cut40 Plasma Cutter

Comment

2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins
            1997 Corvette 6 Speed
            Harley Hardtail Bobber
            Syncrowave 180SD
            Cut40 Plasma Cutter

Comment

2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins
              1997 Corvette 6 Speed
              Harley Hardtail Bobber
              Syncrowave 180SD
              Cut40 Plasma Cutter

Comment

Depends on the axle location, and how much you want to cross-brace and gusset the gooseneck. Kind of an open-ended question,,,,, pics and a drawing of what your plan is, would help.
                Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

There were 36 pictures of conversions. Here is a link to them. Too many to post. They are still uploading to photobucket so this link may not work right away....
                  http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...%20Coversions/
                  2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins
                  1997 Corvette 6 Speed
                  Harley Hardtail Bobber
                  Syncrowave 180SD
                  Cut40 Plasma Cutter

Comment

A lot of manufactures use I-beam frame with C-channel bulkhead and neck. PJ, Big Tex, Corn Pro just to name a few.

Most goosenecks Ive seen the neck is 5 feet long with a 30 down turn with an additional 3 feet to the coupler, for a total of 8 feet.
                    Caution!
                    These are "my" views based only on my experiences in my little bitty world.

Comment

Joey,,,,, first thing I'd do, if I had that trailer, is cut those cute little plates off the joints,,,,, see what, if anything, was under them.
                      Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

And oh, yeah, but I'm sure you noticed, and not a huge big deal to fix,,,, pretty good dip on the Right rear corner ......

Comment

I am fixing that dip. Running new c channel the length of the trailer. I am trying to pull up this floor now. I hate when the floors are bolted down. I like it better when the wood sits under a piece of angle front and rear. All new gussets are going in. Down anyone know how to figure out the axle weight. This guy told me two 3500lb but I just wanna double check.
                          2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins
                          1997 Corvette 6 Speed
                          Harley Hardtail Bobber
                          Syncrowave 180SD
                          Cut40 Plasma Cutter

Comment

My axles tubes are 2 3/8" if that helps. From my research it looks like those are 3500lb.
                            2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins
                            1997 Corvette 6 Speed
                            Harley Hardtail Bobber
                            Syncrowave 180SD
                            Cut40 Plasma Cutter

Comment

Just pull the hubs off,,,,, either measure the spindles, or make note of the bearing numbers, and compare to any axle supplier's specs on-line.

Comment

Working...
                              X