Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

what size channel for neck on gooseneck trailer?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what size channel for neck on gooseneck trailer?

what size channel should i use for the hitch neck for a 7000lb 18' trailer? i got a 18' bumperpull that i want to convert to a gooseneck and need to know what size channel to use i was thinkin 6" #8 for it and have the gussets all made out of the 6" also for the bracing at the 90's

A single 6 inch x 8.2# channel in an 8 feet span is good for 2,460 lbs.

Comment

Why not 6" I beam? or 2 6" channels back to back...Bob

Comment

is the frame of the trailer made out of the same channel? the last one i did had an I beam frame so i just extended it out and used the same material.

Comment

I was in the same boat as you until last weekend. I was going to cut off the tongue of my 18 Car hauler and weld a gooseneck on. Instead I traded straight across for this monstacity. I cut the dovetail off my old trailer before trading it for this one. I plan on cutting all the bull**** off this thing to make it a dovetail car hauler. I couldn't pass up the deal. It had two 3500lb axles, both with brakes, actual trailer tires, break-a-way system, 82" between fenders and 16' deck, (plus 2' more for my dovetail). Anyhow this trailer has 6" channel for the neck. I you need any pictures or measurements off this thing just let me know. I am not saying this thing is built right, I am just saying it is built. I will include all the pictures here. Also I had been saving pictures of others coverting their car haulers to gooseneck. I will post those too. Hope this helps. P.S. I would check around to trading because that steel is gonna be expensive. My guy no longer had a truck so no gooseneck hitch. Also check out this trailer. My dream.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110284112581

Comment

Comment

Comment

Depends on the axle location, and how much you want to cross-brace and gusset the gooseneck. Kind of an open-ended question,,,,, pics and a drawing of what your plan is, would help.

Comment

There were 36 pictures of conversions. Here is a link to them. Too many to post. They are still uploading to photobucket so this link may not work right away....
                  http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...%20Coversions/

Comment

A lot of manufactures use I-beam frame with C-channel bulkhead and neck. PJ, Big Tex, Corn Pro just to name a few.

Most goosenecks Ive seen the neck is 5 feet long with a 30 down turn with an additional 3 feet to the coupler, for a total of 8 feet.

Comment

Joey,,,,, first thing I'd do, if I had that trailer, is cut those cute little plates off the joints,,,,, see what, if anything, was under them.

Comment

And oh, yeah, but I'm sure you noticed, and not a huge big deal to fix,,,, pretty good dip on the Right rear corner ......

Comment

I am fixing that dip. Running new c channel the length of the trailer. I am trying to pull up this floor now. I hate when the floors are bolted down. I like it better when the wood sits under a piece of angle front and rear. All new gussets are going in. Down anyone know how to figure out the axle weight. This guy told me two 3500lb but I just wanna double check.

Comment

My axles tubes are 2 3/8" if that helps. From my research it looks like those are 3500lb.

Comment

Just pull the hubs off,,,,, either measure the spindles, or make note of the bearing numbers, and compare to any axle supplier's specs on-line.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.