Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

lock box

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • lock box

    I had my lincoln wirematic 255 stolen out of my shed and it was chained to the tractor. These days bolt cutters sell for cheap money and cut the best chains. Has anyone built a strong box to keep there expensive items in out in the shed? ANY GOOD PICTURRES???
    Around here my thies seems to gravel with pry bar and bolt cutter.

    I have since replaced that lincoln with a newer 2005 millermatic 251.

  • #2
    Sorry to hear about the theft. With any luck the jerk-offs will drop the welder on themselves and leave a lasting wound as a memento of the theft.

    Not sure if this will help, in the line of work that I do I am around a couple different types of boxes.

    1. being the stainless boxes we all see at intersections that houses the controllers for the traffic lights. These are very secure cabinets and can be easily bolted to the floor.

    2. being all the green telephone boxes on every corner. These are not quite as good as the SS but still very tough to get into. I have one at work that we keep tools in. I dont have any pics right now but if I can remember I will take a few tomorrow morning.

    Now the SS traffic box is tall and skinny most of the time, as it may fit your hand tools its probably not enough for the 251.

    On the other hand the telephone box would most likely fit the welder. The bottle may be a hangup tho.

    Both of these boxes use a secure type latch that takes a security wrench or a recessed allen with a hole in the center and also room for a lock. Maybe you could use this type of latching mechanism to assist in slowing down the jerks.
    I think no matter what you do other then offering lead poisoning will stop them, but you may make it tough enough to discourage them.

    Comment


    • #3
      How hard is it to run an air hose out there?

      If you had an impact wrench that was easy enough to access out in the shed, you could make a strong box that had a hinge on one side of the door, and 30 or so bolts holding the other end and center.

      The lock wouldn't even be needed - they'd be too tired to haul the stuff off after cranking the wrench (and it would buy you time to hopefully catch them in the act).

      Just make sure to keep the socket somewhere safe and use a large size like 1-1/8" or a goofy 12 point internal socket head. Even the larger 1/2" or so torxs head bolts would baffle guys trying to get them loose.

      Comment


      • #4
        Huh?

        Originally posted by tom37 View Post
        Sorry to hear about the theft. With any luck the jerk-offs will drop the welder on themselves and leave a lasting wound as a memento of the theft.

        Not sure if this will help, in the line of work that I do I am around a couple different types of boxes.

        1. being the stainless boxes we all see at intersections that houses the controllers for the traffic lights. These are very secure cabinets and can be easily bolted to the floor.

        2. being all the green telephone boxes on every corner. These are not quite as good as the SS but still very tough to get into. I have one at work that we keep tools in. I dont have any pics right now but if I can remember I will take a few tomorrow morning.

        Now the SS traffic box is tall and skinny most of the time, as it may fit your hand tools its probably not enough for the 251.

        On the other hand the telephone box would most likely fit the welder. The bottle may be a hangup tho.

        Both of these boxes use a secure type latch that takes a security wrench or a recessed allen with a hole in the center and also room for a lock. Maybe you could use this type of latching mechanism to assist in slowing down the jerks.
        I think no matter what you do other then offering lead poisoning will stop them, but you may make it tough enough to discourage them.
        Now, pray-tell, where is the "common-folk" citizen suppose to get one of those, steal one? I'll do a "google search" for "Where to buy Municipal Traffic Lock Boxes."

        Comment


        • #5
          the best way is a silent alarm that pages your cell phone with a text msg. you put a cheap lock on the shed and it trips the silent alarm page if not opened properly. then you put a difficult and time-consuming lock on the inside so it takes them a good 15 minutes to access the goodies. meanwhile you're on your way to visit the thieves with a BFH because you got the text message.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ridesideways View Post
            the best way is a silent alarm that pages your cell phone with a text msg. you put a cheap lock on the shed and it trips the silent alarm page if not opened properly. then you put a difficult and time-consuming lock on the inside so it takes them a good 15 minutes to access the goodies. meanwhile you're on your way to visit the thieves with a BFH because you got the text message.
            Good and bad advice, the silent alarm to the pager, good.
            The BFH, bad, shotgun from the window and have the cops on the line, better.

            Comment


            • #7
              put the lock in a 'tube' with a 110 connabear coon trap on the other end. put their arm in there and...SNAP. just remember to put a stick in there before you put your hand in there lol. then put a bunch of bear traps around the box.

              Comment


              • #8
                call michael vick and rent one of his dogs....

                Comment


                • #9
                  dead dogs don't bite. lol

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ridesideways View Post
                    the best way is a silent alarm that pages your cell phone with a text msg. you put a cheap lock on the shed and it trips the silent alarm page if not opened properly. then you put a difficult and time-consuming lock on the inside so it takes them a good 15 minutes to access the goodies. meanwhile you're on your way to visit the thieves with a BFH because you got the text message.
                    Where does one find these? I was looking for something like this myself but no such luck.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Just the first one I came across on a quick search. Looks like you will need a phone jack in the garage...easy enough with a Radio Shack or other telephone cord connection kit. Also, it would be a good idea to place your phone disconnect inside either the garage or house as well.

                      http://www.makophone.com/moacalwiaudi.html

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        i like it. thats a nice little system for under $50.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by vin-man welding View Post
                          i like it. thats a nice little system for under $50.
                          Actually, when I was looking I noticed it was going for another $10-$15 less in the ad I didn't click on.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by davedarragh View Post
                            Now, pray-tell, where is the "common-folk" citizen suppose to get one of those, steal one? I'll do a "google search" for "Where to buy Municipal Traffic Lock Boxes."
                            Sorry Davedarragh

                            Bad of me not to be specific. The ones that I have used came from the scrap steel bin with permission of course. I have a buddy that used one of the traffic signal boxes and if memory serves me correct it came from the DOT lot where they store supplies. He stopped by and ask someone in the yard if that large pile was good stuff or scrap. The guy that he talked to even helped him load it up and he was on his way. I'm sure not everyone has luck like that but everyone has friends that have friends and word of mouth is the best way to find something.

                            BTW sorry to stray off topic but just wanted to clarify the fact that I wasnt suggesting something that could not possibly be found and used.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by WyoRoy View Post
                              Just the first one I came across on a quick search. Looks like you will need a phone jack in the garage...easy enough with a Radio Shack or other telephone cord connection kit. Also, it would be a good idea to place your phone disconnect inside either the garage or house as well.

                              http://www.makophone.com/moacalwiaudi.html
                              Thanks , I searched for an hour for such a device.I know something like this can also be used for a wireless phone. A customer of mine has automated ice houses set around town that you can buy bag or bulk ice from.If a malfunction arises a cell phone that is attached to a computer inside will call his phone to report the problem and depending on what the problem is he may be able to correct the problem over the phone.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.