Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

eye opener

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to tell you all a story 'bout a man named Jed.......
    Didn't know how to weld, never kept his family fed....

Black Wolf,
    That's a good one.

And yes they are the same (rats scurrying) people you are not mentioning, but they know who they are anyways, that I'm talking about.

Thanks for the pat on the back. I really appreciate you guys saying good things about me like that, Makes it all worth while. Dave

Comment

geez, people should have to take a test before buying a welder.

Comment

Some of the people I've run in to should take a test before they buy a cheeseburger

Comment

That is darn funny, and TRUE.

Originally posted by monte55
          Some of the people I've run in to should take a test before they buy a cheeseburger
          Yup, if you look into some peoples family tree, you expect to find a wreath or two in the not so distant past.

Later,

Comment

My "sister" in North Carolina always said "stupid people shouldn't breed"
            I LOVE IT

"Som of the people I've run into should take a test before they buy a cheeseburger"
            love that one too

Comment

Dave,

Since you were so kind to point out that "fine example of a trailer " thought I'd point out another fubar.

Noticed a posting on the WeldingWeb Board from a poster with about 425 posts. Asked if he could just twist aluminum and stainless mig wire together and use it for filler for tig welding stainless steel to aluminum. Think he calls himself "Redneck Welder".

Think he gets his welding instruction from the same place as injun joe, weld_13, and a few others.

Comment

Shame on you!

SundownIII, What, with only 11 posts on their site what can you possibly know about welding? They do seem like a loyal bunch to each other though, gotta give them that much anyways.
                I noticed in the past over on that site that they (the newby's) are relying on a bunch of "experts" to lead the way, some of them have almost a cult following. Take for example their machinist / tig expert that has something like a gazillion posts. I've seen him do some decent welding but nothing to put him in the status he thinks he should have, I did / do most of the things he claims are so difficult on a daily basis, just to the untrained or less skilled it must look like an amazing feat.
                I tried posting on their site in the past and got the same reception you did, how could I dare point out something wrong when I've only got 1 or 2 posts and the originator of the thread had a b*ttload of posts. I couldn't possibly know what I'm talking about. Dave

Comment

Originally posted by dabar39 View Post
                  SundownIII, What, with only 11 posts on their site what can you possibly know about welding? They do seem like a loyal bunch to each other though, gotta give them that much anyways.
                  I noticed in the past over on that site that they (the newby's) are relying on a bunch of "experts" to lead the way, some of them have almost a cult following. Take for example their machinist / tig expert that has something like a gazillion posts. I've seen him do some decent welding but nothing to put him in the status he thinks he should have, I did / do most of the things he claims are so difficult on a daily basis, just to the untrained or less skilled it must look like an amazing feat.
                  I tried posting on their site in the past and got the same reception you did, how could I dare point out something wrong when I've only got 1 or 2 posts and the originator of the thread had a b*ttload of posts. I couldn't possibly know what I'm talking about. Dave
                  I agree with you 110% , I posted on there a few times and if you don`t have like a billon posts they hate you

Comment

My first post on Welding Web was in a thread involving tapped voltage machines. Details are a little fuzzy, 'cause it's been a while. I remember my post having something to do with manufacturers designing welders that just about "anyone can plug in an start welding" and we are ending up with too many amateur or beginner welders that do not understand what they are doing. For example: Anyone can run a bead with GMAW, but unless you are paying attention and understand what you are seeing, most users are not getting proper fusion between the pieces and just laying metal on top. The exact example I used was the sister in law of one of my associates was killed when she was in an auto accident, and the side of the home-made sled deck on the truck came apart and impaled her where she sat in the driver's seat. I think I also suggested that the manufacturers should povide a CD showing how to use the machine, or providing some sort of coupon for a short training course to use machine correctly. Zapster, among others (including Mac702) tried to crucify me for my opinion but I'm big enough I can take it.

Amazing enough, I read last night that Lincoln Electric supplies a "How to Use Welder" CD with their new PowerMig 140C, 140T, 180C, and 180T...... Go figure!!

I still believe my opinions re: "new and beginning welders" to be accurate, and a growing concern with everyone picking up a welder after watching "Monster Garage" or "Orange County Choppers" because it looks so easy on TV. We are producing a younger generation of new welders from the "I want it NOW" generation that are not learning the basics of welding, and believe they can short-cut the system and still be on par with individuals with decades of experience. This sentiment sadly is echoed here, with a few of our members.

Don't misunderstand my views. I want anyone that wants to weld, to have access to affordable welding equipment and be able to weld - I just wish that the industry would put as much emphasis on education as they do on sales. We would all be a little safer.

Later,
                    Last edited by Black Wolf; 08-06-2007, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Wolf View Post
                      My first post on Welding Web was in a thread involving tapped voltage machines. Details are a little fuzzy, 'cause it's been a while. I remember my post having something to do with manufacturers designing welders that just about "anyone can plug in an start welding" and we are ending up with too many amateur or beginner welders that do not understand what they are doing. For example: Anyone can run a bead with GMAW, but unless you are paying attention and understand what you are seeing, most users are not getting proper fusion between the pieces and just laying metal on top. I think I also suggested that the manufacturers should povide a CD showing how to use the machine, or providing some sort of coupon for a short training course to use machine correctly. Zapster, among others (including Mac702) tried to crucify me for that but I'm big enough I can take it.

Amazing enough, I read last night that Lincoln Electric supplies a "How to Use Welder" CD with their new PowerMig 140C, 140T, 180C, and 180T...... Go figure!!

I still believe this to be a true statement and a growing concern with everyone picking up a welder after watching "Monster Garage" or "Orange County Choppers" because it looks so easy on TV. We are producing a younger generation of new welders from the "I want it NOW" generation that are not learning the basics of welding, and believe they can short-cut the system and still be on par with individuals with decades of experience. This sentiment sadly is echoed here, with a few of our members

Later,
                      I know i`am only 13 but I didn`t start welding cause i seen ppl do it on tv , I started welding cause I started helping my cousin build his railbuggy and his current project a VW Baja(we made a 6 inch body ift, and are working on making the fenders wider, going to try to keep it stock looking) and I learned thats what I going to do with my life, I been welding for 2 ish years , I can Mig,Flux-Core,Tig( Carbon, some stainless), Stick weld. So not all younger generation of new welders started cause of watching tv show.

Comment

I still believe this to be a true statement and a growing concern with everyone picking up a welder after watching "Monster Garage" or "Orange County Choppers" because it looks so easy on TV. We are producing a younger generation of new welders from the "I want it NOW" generation that are not learning the basics of welding, and believe they can short-cut the system and still be on par with individuals with decades of experience. This sentiment sadly is echoed here, with a few of our members

Later,[/QUOTE]

Blackwolf,
                        How right you are, If I'm in conversation with some one and they even mention Orange County Choppers I start to see red. They and the Discovery channel have misled the viewers they have into thinking that all anyone has to do is go buy a welder and it's that easy, poof you're a welder.
                        I am by no means an expert in the field of welding (I learn something new everyday) or motorcycles for that matter, but If you noticed when that show started they bought all of their parts (frames, gas tanks, fenders etc....) from outside vendors, they still called themselves fabricators because the put some cute little ornamental thing on someone elses parts. They had virtually no experience in the fabrication industry or processes. If you look at the show now, they have hundreds of thousands of dollars of equipment to do the work for them, and they still call themselves fabricators. They don't have a clue how to build something from the ground up, fabricating all the parts by hand, as so many skilled craftsmen do everyday.

Don't even get me started on their safety issues or practices (or lack there of) I am surprised the lawyers for that show don't see the potential law suits coming from their lax safety and welding with out hoods and too many other safety issues to mention.

I would love to see the condition of one of their bikes in about ten years from now, if one could make it that far that is.

O.K. I am done with this rant and must actually go and get back to work now. Dave
                        Last edited by dabar39; 08-06-2007, 10:12 AM.

Comment

I know i`am only 13 but I didn`t start welding cause i seen ppl do it on tv.......
                          Yeah, posts like that are EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Enough said.

Later,
                          Last edited by Black Wolf; 08-06-2007, 01:39 PM.

Comment

wait you got it all wrong ,I DID NOT START WELDING CAUSE I SEEN PPL ON THE TV DO IT

Comment

Wireburner/Jones Welding/Chris....

Did I get it all wrong????

If I am reading your last post correctly and you ARE 13 - You should be reading MORE and posting LESS. I've been welding more years than you've been alive - and I post less than you on here 'cause instead of being on here making everyone believe I am a welder, I do it for a living in real life.

I'll leave it at that.

If you want to discuss this any further, PM me - You've already done it once today.... I'm not hard to find.
                              Last edited by Black Wolf; 08-06-2007, 02:16 PM.

Comment

wow...speechless

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.