Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Granite Island

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Granite Island

I need to know your opinion. Would 2" 14 GA box tubing be sufficient to support a 44" piece of granite for a kitchen island? The island will be fully supported similar to the structure of a welding table. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Nick
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kiwi; 02-02-2009, 12:30 PM.

I wouldn't hesitate. The attached pic is a conference table that I built the frame for. It's 2x2x14 ga for the top frame and legs and 1.5x1.5x14 ga for the lower support. The top frame also has 2 pieces that run across the short way to support the granite. That granite top is about 4 ft x 6 ft. The table is rock steady. The table is located in the granite seller's showroom. BTW, the blue chairs have been replaced.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jim-TX; 02-02-2009, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim-TX View Post
      I wouldn't hesitate. The attached pic is a conference table that I built the frame for. It's 2x2x14 ga for the top frame and legs and 1.5x1.5x14 ga for the lower support. The top frame also has 2 pieces that run across the short way to support the granite. That granite top is about 4 ft x 6 ft. The table is rock steady. The table is located in the granite seller's showroom. BTW, the blue chairs have been replaced.
      Thanks Jim....WOW that was fast!!

Comment

Very nice work I might add!!

Comment

I think that would give you a good sturdy surface, No problem as long as you have good welds.

My back ground is 20 years of doing this type of work, building and designing things.

I would however design some leveling pads that screw into the bottom of the legs to keep it from wobbling.

Comment

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
            I think that would give you a good sturdy surface, No problem as long as you have good welds.

My back ground is 20 years of doing this type of work, building and designing things.

I would however design some leveling pads that screw into the bottom of the legs to keep it from wobbling.
            Portable Welder (or anyone else): On this kind of box frame design, what methods do you use to get the legs parallel and cross members perpendicular to one another? Also, when tacking a leg to the cross members how do you keep a tack weld on one side from pulling (tilting) the leg when the weld cools? Any tips would be appreciated.

Comment

Put diagonals on it to prevent racking. Otherwise, a failure mode like this may happen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEaqfpqLBK4

Without diagonals, you are relying on every conection to be a moment connection, and this makes the welds between legs and the top horizontals a critical weld.

Addition of one diagonal in each plane defines a rigid shape relying only on pinned connections.

In the video above, the structure racked just a little bit from the impact and this overloaded every connection because they were not moment connections. Scale that down and imagine hitting your counter with a hand truck or maybe during a "heated family scuffle."

Here's another failure due to lack of diagonal bracing or moment connections (you've got to have at least one)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAOVkKWNfdo
              Last edited by Bodybagger; 02-03-2009, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Theres nothing complicated about this, Use a flat table and a square no other braces needed unless for temporary use.

Just tack the unit together and keep checking things.

The bottom of the legs will warp in slightly maybe an 1/8" at most.

Use a bottle jack to spread them back out if its that criticle.

Comment

Working...
                X
                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.