Vehicle Anti Theft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicle Anti Theft

Am looking for ideas, plans, suggestions of a device I can fab up to discourage some thief from stealing my vehicle.

Thie device will be in addition to other commercial devices I already have. The idea is to build something the thief hasn't seen before and is not prepared to defeat.

I've considered building my own wheel lock/boot but am open to other ideas. With the knowledge and experience on this forum, I'm betting there are some good ones.

Thanks
    First MIG: Miller 172
    Second MIG: Lincoln Idealarc SP-200
    Current MIG: Powcon 400SM & PD 22 feeder
    Jet horiz/vert bandsaw
    Victor O/A torch and regulators
    Jackson NexGen EQC helmet
    Two beagles

Cut one wire leading to the ignition switch and put a hidden toggle switch in the gap. Pull out the sparkplugs. Disconect the coil wire put it in a locked box. Jack up all four corners put it on stands then hide the jack. Keep a 12ga handy. Install an alarm system on the the storage building. Take off the steering wheel. Cut off the acelerator pedal and drill a hole though both halves and bolt it together when you need it. Lock the parking brake engaged. Disconect the driveshaft. Wrap a chain though the holes inthe rim and around the axel put combination locks on it.
    Where ever you use lock make sure the are combination locks that do not acept keys althogh stll easil defeated it is a little harder.
    This is an automotive discussion forum that has some great infromation

www.autobodytoolmart.com/shoptalk

Comment

Use a semi trailer air brake on your drive shaft.

No thief will know they need to turn on the compressor (hidden switch) to release it.
      Syncrowave 250DX
      Invison 354MP
      XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
      Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
      Smith O/A rig
      And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Put a Yugo car cover on it
        Nick
        Miller 252 Mig
        Miller Cricket XL
        Millermatic 150 Mig
        Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
        2-O/A outfits
        Jet Lathe and Mill
        Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
        DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
        Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
        20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
        Propane Forge
        60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
        Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
        and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Comment

You guy missed the obvious expanded metal on the windows and weld the doors shut lol.

Comment

How about making something that locks the clutch and brake together and that stops them from being pushed in, or something that goes over the hand brake and then to the gear stick to stop that from being moved

Comment

find the wire for your fuel pump, cut it and put a toggle switch between them, i have my switch under the passenger seat. just make sure (if you have a back seat) that the people riding in the back can accidentally kick it, or you will find your self sitting in the middle of the road with you hood up not even thinking about your anti-theft system....

Comment

Appreciate the input. I guess until we start hanging car thieves, like we used to hang horse thieves.......

If I come up with something interesting I'll post it.
                First MIG: Miller 172
                Second MIG: Lincoln Idealarc SP-200
                Current MIG: Powcon 400SM & PD 22 feeder
                Jet horiz/vert bandsaw
                Victor O/A torch and regulators
                Jackson NexGen EQC helmet
                Two beagles

Comment

I have a friend who used a clever variation on the fuel pump switch method stated above when he lived in Boston (car theft capital of the US). He used an unneeded switch in the dash (I think it was a HI/LO dash dimmer switch) and wired it ACROSS the fuel pump. If someone tried to start the car with the switch ON, the pump fuse would blow because the switch shorted across it. The car would run for a few 100 feet on the gas that's in the fuel line, and then "run out of gas". He found his car a few hundred feet away from where he parked it about 4 or 5 times in 10 years. This extra deception was needed because the smarter thieves would look for the hack if a car didn't start at all, and possibly damage the car in the process. This way they really thought they just had bad luck. Since the car in question was Italian, this was believable. it might not be as convincing with a Toyota. Also be sure to carry an extra supply of fuses.

Comment

Originally posted by lens42 View Post
                    This extra deception was needed because the smarter thieves would look for the hack if a car didn't start at all, and possibly damage the car in the process. This way they really thought they just had bad luck. Since the car in question was Italian, this was believable. it might not be as convincing with a Toyota. Also be sure to carry an extra supply of fuses.
                    And I thought Lucas was the Prince of Darkness. I just want you to know how deeply you've hurt my feelings with your disparaging remarks about Italian cars. BTW, what was the marque?

Jim
                    Dynasty 300DX
                    MM350P
                    Hobart Handler 120
                    Smith LW7, MW1, AW1
                    Smith AR/He Mixer

Comment

Originally posted by NewMexSmoke View Post
                      Am looking for ideas, plans, suggestions of a device I can fab up to discourage some thief from stealing my vehicle.

Thie device will be in addition to other commercial devices I already have. The idea is to build something the thief hasn't seen before and is not prepared to defeat.

I've considered building my own wheel lock/boot but am open to other ideas. With the knowledge and experience on this forum, I'm betting there are some good ones.

Thanks
                      you didn't state what kind of vehicle. are we talking your welding rig. and do you need to lock the tools better also?
                      TB 325
                      TB 302
                      dynasty 200sd
                      spoolmatic 30a/wc24
                      suitcase x-treme 12vs
                      miller 211
                      evolution rage 2

Comment

An effective alarm

1) I like the idea of a paging alarm. Not that I think it would be smart to confront every thief, but at least I have the option.

2) Attach the alarm to the door handle. Every thief will check to see if a car is unlocked by tugging on the handle or on older cars, pressing the button. Either way, its a positive indication that someone is messing with your car and its time to a) page the owner and b) sound a piercing alarm that will make them jump out of their shoes.

As for theft deterrent. If the thief is still going for it - I like the idea of an intermittent disabler. Kill the motor after 30 seconds, then 10, then 20, then 5...

One thing to remember, if they really really want to get your car. The pull up with a roll-back and drag your car on to it. Your only chance is an alarm and a pager (and a probably a decent amount of firepower).
                        Con Fuse!
                        Miller Dynasty 350
                        Millermatic 350P
                        -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
                        Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
                        Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU2oxrerkN8

Comment

removable steering wheel. not too many car thieves carry a spare wheel with them.
                            Millermatic 180 Auto Set

Comment

Airbags and other controls in them makes that a bad idea in modern cars.
                              Syncrowave 250DX
                              Invison 354MP
                              XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                              Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
                              Smith O/A rig
                              And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Working...
                              X