Look what followed me home

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vin-man welding,
    I usually draw up the bed on cad and then start. You cannot mass produce these type beds as you can the typical ag style flat bed due to the fact you have to fit everything so tight to the truck to get the maximum storage possible in the under bed boxes. Also the stuff on the top of the bed will be very tight, welder, bottle racks, tool boxes, hitch, remote reels, act/oxy reels, spare tire rack, water cooler rack and fuel filler.
    You also have to remember these trucks are not square, this one is out 3/4" which is about normal.
    I will have the bed on and off the truck about 4 times during a build.(I only tack it together while it is on the truck) This one has a 50gal. fuel tank between the frame rails at the back. The fuel filler is going to be a pain, but if it was easy girl scouts would be doing it.
    The biggest problem I have had on this one is the welder I am using. I bought a Power Mig 350 at a auction. We DO NOT get along.

Comment

looks good

what do you have planed to hold your cables or to store them.

Comment

Originally posted by Finney View Post
        vin-man welding,
        I usually draw up the bed on cad and then start. You cannot mass produce these type beds as you can the typical ag style flat bed due to the fact you have to fit everything so tight to the truck to get the maximum storage possible in the under bed boxes. Also the stuff on the top of the bed will be very tight, welder, bottle racks, tool boxes, hitch, remote reels, act/oxy reels, spare tire rack, water cooler rack and fuel filler.
        You also have to remember these trucks are not square, this one is out 3/4" which is about normal.
        I will have the bed on and off the truck about 4 times during a build.(I only tack it together while it is on the truck) This one has a 50gal. fuel tank between the frame rails at the back. The fuel filler is going to be a pain, but if it was easy girl scouts would be doing it.
        The biggest problem I have had on this one is the welder I am using. I bought a Power Mig 350 at a auction. We DO NOT get along.

say you and that power mig still haven't learned to get ALONG ? great looking bed.

Comment

Welding Truck Bed

Finney: Fantastic job!

2 Questions: 1.) What do you think the net weight of the finished bed will be?

2.) The recessed elongated oval on the rear of the bed, is it cosmetic, or added for strength like they do on the back of the cabs?

Fully loaded, fuel, etc, gross weight?

(I guess that was 3 questions)

Nice work, Dave
          "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Iron Head,
            I will take the filler hose out the back. The spare as of now will be upright behind the welder.

davedarragh,
            The oval is inset to protect the lights and add strength. Bed weight will be around 1,800 fully equiped it should be around 12,500 to 13,000

stick man,
            No will still do not get along. Its better but we are not friends yet. Acouple of weeks a go a friend needed help building some fertilizer binns. I took the power mig and one of the trailblaser,s with a S32 VS feeder. Everone tried it and nobody liked it. He had a couple of 252's there. we were running 045 at about 24 volts with C02. When we were done the trailblaser welded more footage of welds than any of the other machines. One of the reasons was it was easier to move around. I think I went through two 44lb spools.

Comment

m.k.swelding,
              There will be a lead well on each of the back corners. They wil have open 1/4" open mesh screen in the bottom. The openinig in the top will be framed with 1/2" cold rolled so when you drag them out they will not snag and get cut.

Comment

Iron Head, i know what you mean. i worked for a truck upfitter and the Dodge's were the utility box beds need to to be reworked. the dump beds had a big space behind the cab because you had the gas tank in the way if shorting the frame for a 8 foot dump.
                finney is the cad plan's something you wrote or a generic plan? can i get it?
                TB 325
                TB 302
                dynasty 200sd
                spoolmatic 30a/wc24
                suitcase x-treme 12vs
                miller 211
                evolution rage 2

Comment

vin-man welding,
                  I did the plans, I will try to attach them in microsoft. This computer will not let me in adobe.
                  It will not let me, I will try later in adobe.

Comment

vin-man welding,
                    Now I have attached it.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Nice looking bed Finney
                      Jeff

Comment

thanks james. now i'll have to finish my computer upgrade and put the rest of the software in.lol thanks again.
                        TB 325
                        TB 302
                        dynasty 200sd
                        spoolmatic 30a/wc24
                        suitcase x-treme 12vs
                        miller 211
                        evolution rage 2

Comment

Final fitting before paint.
                          Attached Files

Comment

That's an awesome lookin bed. Definately going to gave to get some pictures up when it is painted!
                            sigpic
                            Miller Trailblazer 302
                            Smith Torch Outfit
                            Lots of Grinders
                            Miller Elite Autodark Hood
                            O'l Trusty Jackson

Comment

nice job I really like the under body boxes wish I would have taken time to make some. How tall is top of falt from ground?

Comment

stick man,
                                I do not know but I can walk up to it and sit on it. I will measure it when it is back on the truck.

Comment

Working...
                                X