Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Shop Stove

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Shop Stove

I built a new stove for my shop out of 16" pipe & added a heat exchanger to the top of it.
    Attached Files

I know right where you got the idea..............

And if you could find some HiTemp paint, I'd paint it up just like the A10......

Comment

That's one sweet stove. That heat exchanger and blower should really heat your shop. For some time I had a wood stove in my shop and it worked great. The one problem that I ran into was in the spring time the darn birds would fly down the chimney & try to build a nest. then I had to take the pipe apart to get the carcasses out. I finally stopped them by putting a 1/2" wire mesh around the top vent.
      Good Job!

Comment

Sweet Stove!

That is one fine looking stove. I'm afraid that all is in vain if you don't insulate that building though - but you know that.

I have a question. What is the gizmoe on the right side of the heat exchanger? It appears to be a can to feed liquid...it has a valve on it...what do you feed your stove besides wood?

Great job - may your nights in the shop be warm and cozy.

Comment

Awesome!

Very, Very!!! nice heater...I have a small one that I purchased at a garage sale and it has the same concept with a SMALL blower...however this is fantastic. How do you have the heat exchange setup so it won't blow the smoke? do you have two exhaust pipes feeding thru the exchange? I'm real curious, either way, this is great!
          Nothing like good old fashion heat, I just got a 16' trailer full of mesquite wood, that we went to go cut. I go thru alot of firewood....keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by Finney View Post
            I built a new stove for my shop out of 16" pipe & added a heat exchanger to the top of it.
            Do you have a rough idea on how many BTU's that stove might put out 'cause I'm thinking your shop will get hot pretty quick. Sweet job Finney!! I'll give you my address and you can build me one.

Comment

Finney, That is great I have a Magic heat on my stove but it is no where near that size. Ya you may not have an insulated building but I dont think youll need it.

Comment

great looking stove, awsome work as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by jerems View Post
                  That is one fine looking stove. I'm afraid that all is in vain if you don't insulate that building though - but you know that.

I have a question. What is the gizmoe on the right side of the heat exchanger? It appears to be a can to feed liquid...it has a valve on it...what do you feed your stove besides wood?

Great job - may your nights in the shop be warm and cozy.
                  the only thing I can think of is it's to add water into the heat exchanger to make steam and blow the creosote out of it...

Comment

I was thinking that he probably did what I did, Put a valve to add waste oil.

Comment

Originally posted by bretsk2500 View Post
                      the only thing I can think of is it's to add water into the heat exchanger to make steam and blow the creosote out of it...
                      Ya, that creosote can be deadly. The heat exchangers I've used can easily cause the chimney temp to drop to a point where the flue gas condenses on the chimney. The creosote will liquefy and plate out on the heat exchanger. The trick is to keep the stack discharge temperature high enough so the gas won't condense.
                      A creosote fire is something to behold, once it takes off, it's kinda like a jet engine. It's wise to have some fire snuffing sticks near the stove. They are kind of like a road flare. Apparently burn out the oxygen and starve the creosote fire.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words. No idea about the BTU's. When it burning good you can only get about 3ft. of the heat exchanger. Yes I have a waste oil adder on the right side. I will be putting a water injector to control the creosote.

Comment

JNH92,
                          Attached is a rough drawing of heat exchanger.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Ahhh!!!

Now I see it....great illustration...thank you. That is some fantastic work...I wasn't aware of this creosote issue....is it really a big issue? Very curious! I burn alot of mesquite and oak in my fireplace and now you guys have me thinking.
                            Either way, great heater!!!

Comment

JNH92,

Creosote is more of a problem when burning green wood. I am really not concerned that much as the thinnest metal on the stove is 1/4". The stove in my old shop used to catch a fire once a year, no damage but a good show.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.