Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nothing better to post

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hard to tell with the SP100 welds due to all the flux in on them still but some don't look so good. the other ones are looking like they all have craters in the center. thats causing a week spot that could cause a crack to start.
    i'm no expert but i would not call them good solid welds. any concaved bead profile is not good. you need the bead to add to the strength.
    looks more like a hot stitch weld than a continuous weld done with circles.
    but its your stuff so you get to make the call i guess.

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
      hard to tell with the SP100 welds due to all the flux in on them still but some don't look so good. the other ones are looking like they all have craters in the center. thats causing a week spot that could cause a crack to start.
      i'm no expert but i would not call them good solid welds. any concaved bead profile is not good. you need the bead to add to the strength.
      looks more like a hot stitch weld than a continuous weld done with circles.
      but its your stuff so you get to make the call i guess.
      I was just screwing around with the 110, just trying to see if i could get the same look. I agree with you about the 110 welds cause I think some slag was getting in the welds trying to do it like that.

Comment

Whip it good

Although I generally prefer to just run a straight stringer or weave bead, I will sometimes lay a "stack of dimes" just for fun. The best way I could describe the motion is to whip it like a 6010 with a slight circular motion. The trick is to watch how the puddle moves and cools. I find watching your weld from behind is far easier as long as you can still see where you are going.

Comment

Looks cool, they are very straight and nice width, but I too have never done it that way. I'm going to try it

Comment

shorerider16
            your bike kinda looks like mine.

Comment

littlefuzz,
              thanks a lot for the pics! Can't wait to try mines out....
              re: dingleberry's, I would knock it off with a chisel before I sent a pic of it
              your consistency and your straight line is incredible !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                littlefuzz,
                thanks a lot for the pics! Can't wait to try mines out....
                re: dingleberry's, I would knock it off with a chisel before I sent a pic of it
                your consistency and your straight line is incredible !!!
                Oh well, everyone gets dingleberries every now and then.

Comment

yeah...dingleberry's are a part of a weldor's life
                  hmm...think that's what my wife called me at one time

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.