Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ugly Cart Contest - Entry #1

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugly Cart Contest - Entry #1

Well I figured you folks could use a laugh so here's something I lashed together in the woodworking shop out of scraps - I call it "Woody The Welder Cart"

I've got a brand new Dynasty, and I have yet to be able to fire it up becuase it's just too cold in the garage. I have a woodworking shop that's attached to the garage but I dare not light a match in there or the whole place will go up like a Roman candle with all the sawdust and tinder dry wood scraps etc.

How cold you are probably wondering - well, the other morning it was -30 - yep MINUS THIRTY outside.

This cart is based on 2 themes - 1) something that I can use temporarily while I am learning how to weld and 2) No purchase of any materials.

I started with a 2x4 and spikes table that my father had built about 20 years ago and then started scounging around the woodshop and adding pieces here and there. There's some wood from an old futon bed frame I made in university, some casters that were sitting in a box, etc. In the end, I actually had something. I caught myself laughing on more than one occassion as I was building it.

Anyway, it got me to thinking - perhaps we should have an ugly cart thread to see if anyone can top this contraption.

Cheers and thanks for the great forums here - I am learning all sorts of things here while I wait for the winter to pass

Lewis

"Wood Welding"

Lewis: Gives new meaning to "TWIG" welding!

Hope it warms up for you, if I remember, you got that Dynasty for free?

It was around Xmas time, and you forgot to get some filler metal as I recall. You should have a blast with it, once it warms up in your shop.

Let us know how you like it.

Dave, in sunny, warm Phoenix, Az (+78F)

Comment

to me it isn't ugly....different maybe....but not ugly.

As far as welding goes you could do your prep in the shop and take the welder into the house and weld on the kitchen table
      Tig is like surgery...clean and pure...esp. if you are single

Comment

It's really not ugly at all.
        It is actually kinda cute.
        So is that argon bottle.
        I don't know if it just me or not, but I go thru a lot of argon, tig welding.
        I switched from the medium sized bottle to the largest one
        There is a size in between that I would prefer but my lws says they are rare.

Comment

Actually a really nice cart, but it doesn't inspire confidence in the "Weldor"

Comment

Nice look cart!!!
            I would have it on fire in no time.
            But that's me, a Thurley dangerous man.
            Be careful with it.

Comment

whats with the base on the argon tank? is it sitting on something or is it part of the tank?

Comment

Originally posted by migwelder05 View Post
                whats with the base on the argon tank? is it sitting on something or is it part of the tank?
                Looks to me like some thing that was turned on a lathe.
                Nice work.

Fun to play with all mediums.
                Me i like metal, wood, plastics and my jeep.

Comment

What did you use for filler? Ash, Oak or Aspen?

Comment

Hi gents - thanks for the comments. You know, the more I look at this funny cart the more I think I will invest in a few coats of paint seeing as I am waiting for spring anyway.

Yes, that's the welder I got for free. And I finally got the filler rod etc. over Christmas, just about time the temps started dropping like a stone around here. I actually considered moving the entire rig into the house and making a little pigtail for the dryer plug but unfortunately I am not single anymore and need to keep the peace

The bottom of the argon bottle is a little flanged foot of some sort that's part of the bottle. It's thick too - about 1/4" I think. The bottle sits pretty stable but I fashioned up a strap and some saddles (also out of wood ) just to be sure. Based on the date codes on the bottle it looks like this is an old one - I "think" the oldest date is in the late 40s

I actually had quite a laugh lashing this thing together. It became a "quest" of sorts trying not to buy even so much as a wood screw to put it together. I'm really looking forward to learning how to tig weld when I can get out in the garage with it. In the meantime you may see me pop up with some questions from time to time.

Dave - I spent a Christmas in Phoenix many years ago - it was the weirdest Christmas I ever had - I mean being able to walk out in your shorts and pick oranges off a tree on Christmas day - just plain wrong as far as I am concerned - hehe.

Cheers,
                    Lewis

Comment

'Cactus-Citrus-Cattle-Cotton"

Lewis: That's what we're known for! The grapefruit and oranges are ripe for the pickin'! They are GOOD! For about 2 more months, then they'll get ready for blooming in April. I've lived here since 1980, didn't take me long to adjust to 70 degree weather at Xmas! We're #3 in cotton behind Texas & Calif. In fact, the City of Goodyear, Az got it's name from the tire company. At one time Goodyear owned a lot of the cotton fields around here, and that particular type was excellent in the "cording" for their bias-ply tires (obviously years ago). It's tough living here, but somebody's got to do it! Think I'll play some golf! FORE!

Dave

Comment

Design looks good. Not that i'm going to give away my age, but even for a temporary cart you must be a lot younger than me....(knees) squatting down to the welder controls!

Comment

Originally posted by LewisCobb View Post
                          Anyway, it got me to thinking - perhaps we should have an ugly cart thread to see if anyone can top this contraption.

If it works then it isn't ugly

Nice cart

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by MANTOOL View Post
                            Design looks good. Not that i'm going to give away my age, but even for a temporary cart you must be a lot younger than me....(knees) squatting down to the welder controls!

Actually it's a sit-down-only affair. I sat in a chair beside it to check and I can push the buttons and twiddle the knob ok in that position. Worst case I'll re-locate it to the top surface.....I doubt I'll be doing any welding on it !

I was thinking this morning about a temporary table and will have to get some sheet of steel to plop across a couple of sawhorses or something - again - until I can actually get some skill and really weld something proper.

Hey Dave - I told my wife what the temps are in Phoenix and we might have to come visit you for say a few months Bert in Hawaii will be the next stop after that and by then it should be warm enough to come back home....

Comment

Hummmmmmmmmmmm: Dave in Arizona or Bert in Hawaii............

Winter in Colorado is looking pretty good about now.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.