Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What rod?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What rod?

I do not do alot of stick, so I have a question:

Building a ute trailer, out of 2 x 2 angle, what would be the best rod?
    I like 7018, but I believe that 6011 will be faster and penetrate better?
    I plan on abusing the trailer on unimproved roads.

What do you think?

I'd use 7018 unless the angle is badly rusted. If it's rusted 6011 might be better, but cleaning the rust off and running 7018 would still be my choice.

Comment

No rust, all new material.

Comment

You can use either one.

Comment

2 x2 x ?

Originally posted by Blackbird455 View Post
          I do not do alot of stick, so I have a question:

Building a ute trailer, out of 2 x 2 angle, what would be the best rod?
          I like 7018, but I believe that 6011 will be faster and penetrate better?
          I plan on abusing the trailer on unimproved roads.

What do you think?
          What's the material thickness? 2" bar size angle ranges from 1/8" - 3/8"

A word of advice. You claimed your stick experience is limited (obvious by your question), so before you go building a trailer, that will suffer abuse, you might want to master some skills on a smaller, less portable project. Nothing worse than towing a trailer, and watching cross members, axles, and tongues fall off at 60 mph. Seriously, if you have to ask what rod to use, you probably don't have any business building one.

The Syncro 200 can handle any rod you can"throw" at it.

Dave
          Last edited by davedarragh; 01-21-2009, 01:13 PM.

Comment

It depends on what you mean by faster...some 6011 welds look crappy enuff you will find yourself using a grinder on them to dress them up...good welds, just poor appearance. 7018 makes your work look better. Beads that you want to show off
            If I had to use 6011 I would prefer to go buy a mig welder instead.
            I have welded hundreds of pounds of 6011 working for people and despise the stuff myself.

Comment

6011's

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
              It depends on what you mean by faster...some 6011 welds look crappy enuff you will find yourself using a grinder on them to dress them up...good welds, just poor appearance. 7018 makes your work look better. Beads that you want to show off
              If I had to use 6011 I would prefer to go buy a mig welder instead.
              I have welded hundreds of pounds of 6011 working for people and despise the stuff myself.
              Lincoln's Fleetweld 35's are much better than their Fleetweld 180's. Their 5P+ is also better than the 5P. I used some 6P+ today, (6010's) and I like how they run. A little smoother than the 5P+, kept a "tighter" weld pool and the "wagon tracks" grind out with little effort. Great hot passes.

If you've never used the FW 35, try some, it might change your opinion.

Just a thought.

Dave

Comment

Welding Rods :

Hi; Personally I'd stay clear of any E60 series Rods!!

For My Money E7018 is the Best All Around Rod There Is !!

Just My 2 cents !!
                ................ Norm :

Comment

Working...
                X
                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.