No announcement yet.

Oxy Acetylene Welding Autobodies?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeh i knew that the mig was the most common these days of course cause most find it easier but didn't know about the brittleness of using o/a sheet metal. Sounds like im goin with a mig if i do decide on it
    welding...its awsome

Comment

SundownIII
      i would love to meat an old timmer willing to take the time to show me how to lead in.
      any chance you got a pic of the lead roadster?? would love to see it. i always thought it would be cool to pick up a little car and tear it down to frame and see where it ends up when i'm done. what a great project.
      thanks for the help
      ......or..........
      hope i helped
      sigpic
      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
      JAMES

Comment

sounds like a cool project bring out the camera !!

Inferno Forge

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post

Why would anyone want to use 1950 technology when there are better tools available? Don't own a mig. Borrow one, rent one, but get one.

Just my .02
          By 1950's technology you must mean OA, TIG and MIG. Especially since TIG was created in the 20's MIG in the 30's and OA since about 1900. In all honesty the HSS panels that everyone is talking about are found only in structural areas of most modern cars. You will also find that the OEM usually doesnt allow welding of any kind on these areas. If there is any question contact your local OEM body shop/dealership, they have charts for each vehicle listing the approved repair methods for each part ( for newer vehicles). MIG still destroys the heat treat on the HSS panels, and in fact can have less fatigue resistance due to localized hardening of the base material. The Mig welds I have had the pleasure of working around were usually so hard that they cracked when planished out. Alas I personally feel that the introduction of MIG into the autobody world had to do more with the body shops bottom line, and less with any technical gain. Not to mention its easier and cheaper to get a guy to goober and bodo some panels together then to hire a real metalman.

-Aaron

P.S. the above information about welding methods and where HSS is used comes from 3 Ford engineers I work with.
          "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
          Miller Dynasty 200DX
          Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
          Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
          Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Comment

makoman,

Don't really disagree with anything you said. A mig in unskilled hands can also yield an unsatisfactory repair.

Going back to my previous post I will restate, because the high strength steel has excellent tensile strength--about 40,000-120,000 psi compared to mild steel's 30,000psi--panel thickness could be reduced, resulting in considerable weight savings. The catch is that high-strength steel cannot be gas-welded or brazed. It will harden and crack. Because of it's unique grain structure, it must be arc-welded with a low-hydrogen stick electrode such as E-7014, or wire feed welded. Ford and Chrysler both recommend MIG welding. My source then goes on with about 10 reasons why.

When I referred to 50's technology, I was referring to equipment which was "economically feasible" to have in a shop at that time. In my dad's shop you would have found an assortment of Harris and Victor O/A sets and an old Linde AC arc welder. You're right tig and wire feed welding have been with us for a long time. TIG was "refined" as a result of demands placed on the Defense industry during WWII. It wasn't until the 80's that MIG became "economically feasible" to be found in your local "body shop".

I agree 110% with your comment about "bottom line" and the skill level of today's metalworkers.

BTW, I, in no shape or form, consider myself an "expert" in this field but have been around body repair just about my whole life. My uncle (referred to in previous post) was a hard hat diver/welder for the Navy during WWII. That guy was a magician/artist when it came to working metal. He'd roll over in his grave today seeing what some folks call "bodywork".
            Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200 DX
            Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
            Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
            Hobart HH187
            Dialarc 250 AC/DC
            Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
            Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
            PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
            Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
            Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
            More grinders than hands

Comment

Working...
            X