Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

The worst weld you have ever done

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some of the worst welds I've done - and the ones I hated doing the most were the other week, welding together a bust exhaust on my son's car. No ramps or jack, slushy mess on the ground, trying to weld the top side of a rusty exhaust, right by the clamp, under the heat shield. Couldn't see anything, not enough clearance under the car to move, my butt was soggy, couldn't get the gun in there, using the mirror and a flashlight. Mask kept fogging and snagging on the car. Basically it ended up look, position, shut the eyes and weld for 5 seconds, look in the mirror and repeat. Got it stuck together and I know it will hold, but I'm not proud of those welds.

Comment

I would say my worst was on a hydraulic cylinder return tube. The one that comes out of the side of the cylinder and runs right down the side. The bend at the top was a 1" radius that was cut short and there was no way to get an angle on it for penetration. The return tube was 0.5" diameter with a 0.035 wall thickness so burn through was a big problem. I got a good wrap and overlap underneath and the weld looked great. I was happy with it until we pressurized the cylinder and it blew a stream of oil across the shop. I was the weld engineer and has 15 welders watching what I was doing. A little work and we fixed it. Instead of solid mig wire we tested, proved and went to metal cored wire and the change in penetration patterns eliminated the problem. So I ate crow for awhile with my guys.

Comment

How about running a vert up fluxcore spray transfer on 1/2" plate for the first time while not being given enough time to prep the joint clean the paint or even get roughly comfortable to get a good looking weld. That thing looked like crap. Bubble gum welds with a side of pigeon crap. I learned quick though the last few welds looked like I'd been doing it for twenty years

Comment

Originally posted by kcstott View Post
          How about running a vert up fluxcore spray transfer on 1/2" plate for the first time while not being given enough time to prep the joint clean the paint or even get roughly comfortable to get a good looking weld. That thing looked like crap. Bubble gum welds with a side of pigeon crap. ......
          i done that before.
          and then there is the times you hurry yourself ,and your pissed off and nothing is going right.

my first tig weld looked like something i pulled out of the kitty litter box

Comment

Originally posted by welderman23 View Post
            i done that before.
            and then there is the times you hurry yourself ,and your pissed off and nothing is going right.

my first tig weld looked like something i pulled out of the kitty litter box
            Most definitely been there more then once.

Comment

I really cant remember any spefic welds of mine that where bad. I usualy tend to make worse welds when I am really trying hard or being tested by friends. One weld that I made that turned out horrible was during trash formations 2008, I was welding a giant rebar lizard and a piece of rebar that was under loads of stress snaped right next to my neck ( it came within inches of slicing open my neck!). Well it scared the living $#!@ out of me, and that obviously caused me to mess up the weld I was working on.

P.S. All of my welds are strong besides the killer bar that snapped!

Comment

Working...
              X
              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.