Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guy came in today looking for a job,

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ANTI-GMAW

very funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Sorry James,
      it just came to me!!! You quit when you married one of their daughters!!!
      THAT'S why your wife is only 25!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Ok, now everything is getting clearer.....

Comment

Dancing at the old women's club...you must have made a TON of money!
        or did you feel bad about taking their welfare checks?

naaa, i got booked for my mom's B-Day party.
        i preferd the cotten candy and whiped cream, the ice cream was cooooold.

well ithink we have strayed far enough off the track now.

Comment

...you were stripping for your mom's b-day party with all her old friends....
          (shudder...)
          ok...I agree...let's end this NOW...it's getting sick

Comment

Originally posted by jwsrep View Post
            Thats a pretty good one dabar39.
            I have a good friend that owns a weld shop and I like how he deals with prospective employees. He'll have a guy come into his shop and tell him how good of a weldor he is. So my friend will hand him a plan drawing point out where the steel rack and equipment is and tell him "Come get me when you've finished this project and we'll see just how good a weldor you are." Not an overly complicated project, he just wants to see if they can read a simple print, cut the material on the saw, tack it together and weld it up. Most guys leave after about 20 minutes of scratching their head and wandering aimlessly around the shop.
            Sounds like a potential legal case to me, what if the prospective employee went to the shop and be determined to git-r-done lit the torch then decide the saw was better laid down the torch loaded the saw and cut off his hand - meanwhile the oxy-fuel tank was made glowing red from the still lit torch -Kaboom? I think you should suggest to your friend to rethink his entry test procedure, I hate read about it in the news paper.
            When I was a young weldor I was told to always think of a job as a bar stool- 3 leg – leg #1= safety, leg #2=quality, leg #3= efficiency- any one of the 3 fails and it all falls down.
            Last edited by mwccwi; 07-29-2007, 07:18 AM. Reason: we = went

Comment

Brings back memories of my first attempt at stick welding steel after tigging AL a few years. First migs weren't pretty at all either. Figured out in a hurry Steel and AL aren't the same animals. Didn't take 20 years to get that bad. First mig looked like caterpillars laying on the steel. Got lots better but not the best there is. Was asked the difference between stick and mig once and I replied mig rods are longer.

Comment

Martin,
                very good points! At first I was thinking, "oh, you're just overly cautious", but with these type of guys who brag how good they are and weld like that, they might just do something like you described!! Legal case waiting to happen
                Might just be better to simplify it, do what Dave did and WATCH him setup everything and weld. Problem with that then, I wouldn't want him to get sparks on his bare skin (t-shirt/shorts/flip-flops)....

Comment

Brings back memories of my employ w/a utilities contractor from Fla. who had the water mains for a new subdivision, fresh out of the military and managed to get a spread boss job. We were always getting walk ons and one of the clowns we hired was quiet a duffer, not worth a tinkers dam well about the 3 day he asked the big boss about a job for his father, Bill asked "well what can he do"? Dip S... sez "Aw he is just like me, he can do anything", twas hard to not laugh.

A couple of yrs later I went back to drafting and some of the dudes that tried to con their way in was unbelievable, their friggin resume must have weighed 20#, but sometimes they were there quiet a while.
                  L*S

Comment

On the Flip side

I took a part-time job on my days off from Fedex recently with a welding and fabrication company here in Mississippi just to learn. I learned allright. Sometimes the Weldshop is a joke and the Employee fires them! I could not believe what I witnessed being sent out as a supposedly quality product. I was ashamed of some of the crap that was delivered to customers. I stayed for two weeks and bailed after some new talent was hired (Toothless Crackheads !). It was all about speed and productivity regardless of producing a decently welded product. It taught me a valuable lesson,,Garbage in Garbage out. Quality welding takes time. I will do my own work from now on at my own speed and make what I can in my spare time. I'll sleep better. Also, I finally got my 3035 spoolgun working like a champ on Aluminum. My gas pressure had simply been too low. When I bumped it up to 28 PSI I got some great beads. Adam

Comment

Jet,
                      Congrats on not comprimising your work ethics
                      You'll become a better weldor practicing on your own and learning from these guys here

Comment

too many are more concerned about the $$ than the quality. at the same time too many have forgotten quality is worth paying for, too many accept cheap throw away stuff figuring i'll just get a new one next year when this one falls apart insted of spending a little bit more and having it for many years to come.
                        what can ya do ??? we are settling for crap, so soon thats all we will have to chose from.

Comment

Originally posted by mwccwi View Post
                          Sounds like a potential legal case to me, what if the prospective employee went to the shop and be determined to git-r-done lit the torch then decide the saw was better laid down the torch loaded the saw and cut off his hand - meanwhile the oxy-fuel tank was made glowing red from the still lit torch -Kaboom? I think you should suggest to your friend to rethink his entry test procedure, I hate read about it in the news paper.
                          When I was a young weldor I was told to always think of a job as a bar stool- 3 leg leg #1= safety, leg #2=quality, leg #3= efficiency- any one of the 3 fails and it all falls down.
                          LMAO......maybe so if the interview went something like this......

Shop owner: What's your name, pal?
                          Applicant: Curly Howard
                          Shop owner: Do you have any experience?
                          Applicant: Soytinally, I did some pipe fitting in "A Plumbing We Will Go" woo woo woo woo.

While I would certainly agree that we live in times that people are not exactly forth coming about their job skills, I hardly think that a scenario like that is common place.

Employers take risk's everytime they hire/test an applicant. That same scenario can still happen after an interview and the prospective applicant is hired, on the first day of employment or anytime there after. I see nothing wrong with making an applicant that says he can do the job having to prove himself before the employer has to put him on the payroll.

Comment

no such number

I tried to call the company this guy claimed he worked for in Kentucky. When I dialed the number given, a woman answered the phone. I found out that she is a lonely, sweet old women just wanting someone to talk to. The guy wasn't known by her nor did she ever hear of the trailer business I asked about. I did however learn a little bit of the towns history and what not. After a very nice 30 minute conversation with her, I felt real bad because I had to lie to her about having to answer the other phone (she wouldn't shut up), anyways I called directory assistance thinking maybe I just dialed the wrong number and they had no listing for the company either. Dave

Comment

I did however learn a little bit of the towns history
                              well there ya go, a good thing came out of it after all.
                              they say you should learn some thing new every day, so this one is covert thanks to the du-fuse.

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                                I did however learn a little bit of the towns history
                                well there ya go, a good thing came out of it after all.
                                they say you should learn some thing new every day, so this one is covert thanks to the du-fuse.
                                Ya, but he still wasted some 6011's on the dingbat so I geuss he realy broke even.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.