Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Flatbed

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Flatbed

OK, Here is my first flatbed. Would appreciate any comments and I promise I will not pout.

I followed plans for a car hauler and bought the 5 inch channel many years back. Never got around to building the trailer until I retired. Then the requirements changed some. So, to beef things up I bought some 3/16" x 5" flat stock and welded it to the inside of the channel (except where the channel overlaps). I also added a third member 2 x 4 .120 down the middle. Cross members 1/4 3x4 16" o/c, decked with diamond plate I bought several years back.

6K axles, brakes and heavy tires. Cummins pulls it fine and the first voyage was a Ford 9N with a backhoe and FEL on a 600 mile journey. Trailer has a 2ft dovetail.

Have not weighed the trailer dry so I am not exactly sure of the tongue weight. I suspect I am a little heavy especially since I have a 80lb hoist to mount yet. Sides are next

I would like to post my 14ft enclosed later for comments.

Conversion of a 13 ft trailer to a dump on the radar scope.

First picture post, hope it worked

Name:  9e42ce60c33b51ad7bd59fe17377fbc2.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  39.3 KB

Name:  c57bea9d1677c8004bde373c670ddd3d.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  35.2 KB

poor pics

poor shots, I'll try again

Comment

looks good thought. nice allis chalmers is it a WD-45 or a WC

Comment

Farmall Super "C"

Pretty much a one owner til my Dad bought it. Needs a little TLC, but functional

Thanks

Comment

one thing you should do , or do on your next trailer is move the jack back about midway of the tung so you can drop your tailgate and the gate not hit the jack. when your truck is hooked up to the trailer

I have moved a lot of trailer jacks back on trailers , people love it once I have moved it.

........ Richard

Comment

Jack location

[QUOTE=Richard;171368]one thing you should do , or do on your next trailer is move the jack back about midway of the tung so you can drop your tailgate and the gate not hit the jack. when your truck is hooked up to the trailer

I have moved a lot of trailer jacks back on trailers , people love it once I have moved it.

Richard,

Good suggestion. That was put to me durring the build phase. The only reason I did not is because I have acquired enough aluminum sheet goods to build a box to mount on the tongue. Lots of straps and stuff to carry. It still may fit nicely back a bit on the third member. Thanks,,,,,

Comment

hmm my eyes must be really bad it looks orange to me

Comment

migwelder05;171488]hmm my eyes must be really bad it looks orange to me

Colorado Red, or suppose to be. First time posting pics last night. I got a long way to go

Geezer

Comment

Trailer looks GREAT!! From FAR....FAR...AWAY.....got any larger pics???

Comment

do you mean the tractor or the trailer? because I was talking about the tractor

Comment

migwelder05

Tractor faded OEM Red, Trailer Colorado Red

Bert,

Yes, do have bigger pics. But since I only have dial up and it takes so long to load up to the Miller site. So, I tried to scale them down some. Currently trying to load pics on photobucket as a url

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer View Post
                        migwelder05

Tractor faded OEM Red, Trailer Colorado Red

Bert,

Yes, do have bigger pics. But since I only have dial up and it takes so long to load up to the Miller site. So, I tried to scale them down some. Currently trying to load pics on photobucket as a url
                        You can still make the picture big, but reduce the pixel size....the monitor only uses something like 72dpi while photographs need between 300 - 600dpi
                        If I'm wrong, you guys let me know

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                          You can still make the picture big, but reduce the pixel size....the monitor only uses something like 72dpi while photographs need between 300 - 600dpi
                          I'll keep trying.

Geezer
                          Last edited by Geezer; 01-06-2009, 05:01 PM. Reason: content error

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                            bert is always wong

Comment

Originally posted by welderman23 View Post
                              bert is always wong
                              D@mn, just when I was going to say I missed you and welcome back to the
                              board!!!!!!!!!!!! No really, it's true!!!!!! You can keep the pic big by reducing the pixels. Doesn't matter to the monitor, but does if you try to print it!!!!! Keep the image large, keep the pixels small....that's what my mamma used to tell me

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.