Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 X 10 Trailer Questions

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

theBrute,

Reference Crappy Attitudes.

Bud, from my perspective, you seem to be the one with a crappy attitude. You come on this board asking for help and reference a material list more suited for a garden cart than a 3500# over the road trailer.

You claim to posess a MM251 which will be used to fabricate the trailer. Welder is fine for the job. No one knows if the weldor is.

After reading your first post, a red flag went up. If this guy knew what he was doing, he wouldn't be considering using the materials listed. Being a newbie, you have no idea how many "wantabe welders" come on this board asking how to build trailers. Most are downright dangerous. Based on your comments, I have to put you in that category.

When told that your material selection left a lot to be desired, you spend considerable keystrokes defending your postion. Frankly, you remind me of the guy who "you don't confuse with facts, your mind's made up". Frankly, I feel Fusion King and Dabar went pretty easy on you.

I've been welding for over 50yrs and have all the equipment one would need to build any trailer I choose. Although not a "professional welder" (never derived my primary income from welding), I consider myself to be "pretty good". With all that said, if I was building a trailer from scratch (I've built several) I'd dang sure listen to the advice of a guy like Dabar39 and be dang glad I had that resource to keep me from making a "dumb" mistake.

As far as not coming back to this board, I don't think the board will suffer too greatly from your absence. You'll be the one missing out on the wealth of information available if you just took your earplugs out and listened to what was being said.

Bye

Comment

Originally posted by LucasM View Post
      I am new to this site. The first thing I see when searching for boat trailer ideas are these negative posts towards someone who is asking for help. Well, you know im not asking any questions or contributing any knowledge on this site. I will stick to Hobarts forums.

Dude....we are all over there as well

Comment

They'll both be back under another name. Seen it plenty of times before on other boards

Comment

Originally posted by KBar View Post
          They'll both be back under another name. Seen it plenty of times before on other boards
          Looks like they've done it here already.

Comment

Originally posted by LucasM View Post
            I am new to this site. The first thing I see when searching for boat trailer ideas are these negative posts towards someone who is asking for help. Well, you know im not asking any questions or contributing any knowledge on this site. I will stick to Hobarts forums.
            Unfortunately due to bad experiences on this forum ALREADY I will probably not be back. In the future, people should try and keep posts that do not help to themselves and maybe more people will use this forum for information.
            dude, because you seem to interpret criticism as negativity and a bad attitude, there is nothing anyone here can do to help you anyways. based on your reactions to criticism, it sounds like you are likely to spend a lot of your lifetime being offended at people who are trying to help you.

Comment

Originally posted by thebrute View Post
              Hello, I am new to this forum and I have some questions about a trailer I am planning on building. I am going to build a 5X10 trailer. (3500lb torsion, 14" wheels, steel mesh floor) I would like this trailer to be rigid and fairly heavy duty. It is going to be used to haul everything from ATV's to heavy firewood loads. My question is about the materials I plan to use. Instead of the flimsy angle iron most are constructed of, I am thinking of using medium gauge 1" square tube. (Or 3/4") Any ideas or suggestions.

I will be using a Miller 251 Wirefeed Welder
              1x1 is waaaaaaaay too small for a trailer, don't even consider it. I've got a 3000# 5X10 trailer (Big Tex 29SA) that's all made of 2x3x3/16 angle, and it handled a 4500# cube of 8" blocks with NO flexing at all.

trailer mf'rs use angle because it's cheap and it works.

My 7000# 14' homesteader challenger (714CT) uses tube for the main frame rails, and angle for everything else. there's no discernable flex in that one either...

Comment

Originally posted by bretsk2500 View Post
                1x1 is waaaaaaaay too small for a trailer, don't even consider it. I've got a 3000# 5X10 trailer (Big Tex 29SA) that's all made of 2x3x3/16 angle, and it handled a 4500# cube of 8" blocks with NO flexing at all.

trailer mf'rs use angle because it's cheap and it works.

My 7000# 14' homesteader challenger (714CT) uses tube for the main frame rails, and angle for everything else. there's no discernable flex in that one either...
                Heck what he probably saw was the suspension flexing

Comment

Hope I did not rain on anyones parade. After building my 14ft, it sure appeared to me the initial specs on this post were on the light side. Thats why I shared my specs. I have two more trailer plans in the mill. A dump and a follow-on 18ft enclosed. I'll bump up the main runners and tongue on the 18ft to 3/16" rectangle tube. Will probably encroach on Debar kind nature for some general tips on the dump. This is a great site, lots of ideas, lots of practical experience and willing-to-help participants. Pleased to be assoicated.
                  Last edited by Geezer; 12-31-2008, 05:19 PM. Reason: Corrected Content

Comment

I'm not sure that I understand his intentions on material to use on the trailer. He only mentioned 1" sq tubing to begin with, then mentioned 2x4" steel for the hitch. If you build the frame out of 1" sq tubing and stick 2x4" tubing onto it for the hitch you have zilch. Maybe he's figuring 2x4" tubing for the hitch and frame and 1" cross members (too light). I guess we'll never know though.

Comment

Given the information that was provided, it's understandable why so many people feel that 1" x 1" tubing would be wholly inadequate for use in the OP's specified application. However, what these people fail to realize is, that not only is 1" x 1" tubing adequate, it is in fact more desirable to use than its conventional counterparts in certain circumstances.

For instance, if the frame were to be comprised of many diagonal/triangular elements forming a lattice (much like that of a truss bridge) it would make the whole assembly rigid, yet extremely lightweight. And this factor is indeed important, especially in light of some information that the OP inadvertently failed to mention--this trailer will be exclusively pulled by bicycle:

http://www.sfbike.org/images/resourc...r_shanghai.jpg

Comment

I believe if the one inch sq tube was reinforced with balsa and ca it would be ok.

Comment

Trailer ??

Ya , Add some Balsa Wood and make it a Glider Aero Plane ??
                          .............. Norm :

Comment

It looks as if I'm gonna have to recall all 647 trailers built at my location, all this time I thought myself and the other trailer manufacturers had something going with our designs. Boy, I guess we were wrong, 1" tubing and balsa wood was all we ever needed.

I can not even imagine how great a loss of profits I've had by not using 1" tube for the frames. Just thinking of the money I have spent on what I thought were the proper materials astounds me. I probably would'a been a gazillionaire by now.

At least it's not too late for me to reinvent the wheel, starting today I will start offering all of my trailers with a 1" square tube truss design frame as it is so much better than what we have commonly seen on the open trailer market. I'm sure all of the other manufacturers will follow this new engineering design as well.

mk10, I seriously hope your post was made in jest, the same as this reply is intended

Comment

Originally posted by monte55 View Post
                              I believe if the one inch sq tube was reinforced with balsa and ca it would be ok.
                              Monte!!!!....you hit a thousand posts!!!!!!

Comment

He!!...............I'm as surprised as you are........did I win anything?
                                Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa a
                                Last edited by monte55; 01-01-2009, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.