Stacked Welders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caster plates the way they are...ok, I get it now
    Didn't catch it from the first set of pics....wow!!! DUALLYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    foot plates = slippahs = caster wheels/plate is what I meant
    still seems/sounds wrong..........anyway, I get it........
    however.......welds look cool!!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

When I attach wheels to a cart I like to keep the wheel sub-plate (or foot plate) within the structure, so that it is more difficult to scratch your ankles on it. Attached is a SolidWorks file of a cart that I designed to hold the color guard flags for my daughter's high school marching band. In the case of the attached example the wheel sub-plate is thick enough so that it can be tapped, but you could also use a thinner plate with nuts and bolts. I looked but I can't locate a picture of the actual cart.
      Attached Files
      Miller Thunderbolt
      Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
      Miller Dynasty 200DX
      Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
      Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
      16" DuAll Saw
      15" Drill Press
      7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
      20 Ton Arbor Press
      Bridgeport
      Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma Torch

Comment

I don't really have a "name" for the plates that I bolt the casters to.... other than just that - The plates I bolt the casters to.

I have done several projects where the casters are better tucked under the frame work. I mounted these the way I did for four reasons:

1) So that the wheels did not touch when swinging the front of the welder from side to side. Any of you that have experience with pneumatic caster wheels will know what I am talking about - they don't always do what you expect or want.

2) Aligning the casters on the frame as I did, places the weight of the cart directly onto the center of the caster's mounting plate and therefore, directly over the swivel. This helps minimize the twisting stress on the caster's mounting plate and will lead to a longer life of the parts.

3) Hidden from view, inside and at the top of the frame, is a 3/16" x 4" plate that is drilled to match the OEM caster bolt pattern that I used to secure the welder to the cart. I can unbolt the welder from the cart without having to remover the casters, and also if I do remove them, I have clear access to the bolts.

4) It is for a very minor effect, but the cable reels and bottle do add a lot of mass to the top of the welder - so the slightly wider track, as insignificant as it may be, will help with stability.

To the Original Poster - my apologies for hijacking your thread.

Edit: Corrected size of plate in bold.
        Last edited by Black Wolf; 01-03-2009, 02:11 PM.
        Later,
        Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Comment

Nice job Jason. The tandem wheels...great practical touch. I remember pulling and pushing a MIG machine to the next bay via the yard. It had those hard rubber tires and the yard still hadn't had the gravel swept up. Always getting hung up on the tiniest pebbles because of those dang hard rubber tires. Those air-filled tires sure will avoid that for sure. Bob

Comment

Jason, thanks for the detailed explanations!!!!!!!!!
            Makes more sense to me now!!!

lol.....I'm wondering if I irratated him enough, where he had to tell his
            secrets to placate me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            I'm not late...

Comment

Originally posted by Black Wolf View Post
              I mounted these the way I did for four reasons:
              Thanks for your explanation. It is clear that you have spent some time working out the design and have good reasons for your approach. I especially like your use of pneumatic wheels with tandem axles under the heavy tanks and spools. This gives you the forgiveness of the pneumatic wheel while still maintaining stability of the cart.
              Miller Thunderbolt
              Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
              Miller Dynasty 200DX
              Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
              Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
              16" DuAll Saw
              15" Drill Press
              7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
              20 Ton Arbor Press
              Bridgeport
              Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma Torch

Comment

Heres my cart for my Invision, XR feeder/gun, and 70 feeder.....
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by cliff huxtable View Post
                  Heres my cart for my Invision, XR feeder/gun, and 70 feeder.....
                  Nice Cart
                  Nice Pics

D@MN MY NECK HURTS!!!!!!!!
                  I'm not late...

Comment

Seems pretty silly to have the xr control on the bottom when it has voltage and wire speed controls on it. Gotta bend all the way down there to adjust it, and gotta pull it out to change wire.
                    Syncrowave 250DX
                    Invison 354MP
                    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
                    Smith O/A rig
                    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

wow the Duallys are awesome
                      Dylan

RED BIRD WELDING

"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"

HH-140
                      Crappy stick welder
                      Victor supper range II
                      Makita grinder
                      more stuff i don't feel like listing.

Comment

Seems pretty silly to use gloves on a bench grinder and drill press.
                        Seems pretty silly to use a chinese drill press as a mill.
                        Seems pretty silly to make a band saw using VW wheels.
                        Seems pretty silly to say that a Milwaukee circular saw is better than a shear.
                        I wont even get into your latest idea with the bender at PM.....

You see, I dont do alot of aluminum MIG. Most times I use my Dynasty. I have used the XR on four jobs and its paid for. I use the top feeder everyday.
                        I am not worried about bending over to adjust some knobs. It takes less tahn five minutes to take the whole feeder and put it on my table if I need to change the spool.

By the way. There is NO way I would steel your bridge crane idea. I dont consider anything you've done or said to be good enough or smart enough to warrant me stealing....

Comment

And yet you stole the very screen name you're using here.
                          Syncrowave 250DX
                          Invison 354MP
                          XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                          Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
                          Smith O/A rig
                          And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Stole it from who? The jerk that tried to sneak into the pit? Not really stealing, just an inside joke showing someone that they are not as smart or sneaky as they think......

Comment

Way to go guys. 5 pages of posts to the guy posting one. Ya so it sits on top, has nice blue matching color. I like the rubber booties. Start ya own thread why don't ya.

Comment

stacked

Not trying to be rude, but why do you need both migs? Are the set up for different wire sizes or is one flux core? If you are a hobbyist, it seems that you are very equiped! Use knurled wheels for bird's nests. Still, nice job!
                                Originally posted by fjk View Post
                                I'm an occasional-hobbyist -- it's true I don't change the rolls that often.
                                The current one has been there for more than a year
                                On the other hand, I do not weld enough to get good enough that
                                I don't get birdsnests... Plus that's where The Chart is and I refer
                                to it probably much more often than you guys who do this
                                every day

Also, I like the idea of using a tool-box-riser like you did

frank
                                Millermatic 210
                                Syncrowave 200
                                Spectrum 625 X-treme
                                Hobart Champion 16 W/
                                Miller 8VS Suitcase
                                Miller 3035 Spool Gun
                                Tons of Tools
                                Microwave
                                Laptop and Printer
                                Speakers in the Back for all to hear Sirius Radio!

Comment

Working...
                                X