Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.


  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bumper built in high school ag shop

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bumper built in high school ag shop

    Thought I would share a few photos of a custom bumper built by three of my senior ag mechanics students.

    Feel free to ask questions!

    Troy Mayfield
    Boise City Ag Ed
    Attached Files

  • #2
    more photos. This bumper took about 3 weeks during classtime. It was sandblasted and painted in our shop as well.
    Attached Files

    Comment


    • #3
      one word!!!!!!!

      SWEET:

      Comment


      • #4
        Nice job on the bumper, thanks for sharing. Is the grill guard welded to the top of the bumper or does it go through and mount to the frame ?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by KBar View Post
          Nice job on the bumper, thanks for sharing. Is the grill guard welded to the top of the bumper or does it go through and mount to the frame ?
          It is mounted through to the frame. A bit tricky getting the angle

          Comment


          • #6
            Dodge Truck Bumper

            Awesome bumper/winch setup! Did they stick weld or mig weld it?

            Take Care,

            John

            Comment


            • #7
              truck bumper

              Speechless...........

              Comment


              • #8
                looks awesome man! i have only done jeep back bumpers, i want to do a front one, hope it comes out as good as yours

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by J. Strunck View Post
                  Awesome bumper/winch setup! Did they stick weld or mig weld it?

                  Take Care,

                  John
                  All MIG. Can't seem to convince them that the trusty old stick welder will do the job. 3 different machines used - Millermatic 35, 250 and 251 - depended on which one was available at the time. My favorite is the old 35

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Nitro_Pirate View Post
                    looks awesome man! i have only done jeep back bumpers, i want to do a front one, hope it comes out as good as yours
                    Just take your time and make sure to measure everything twice. We did a lot of tacking and evaluating. Except for the floor plating, all materials were recycled.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I should have 2 more bumpers to show pics of after Christmas break. These seem to have become the project of choice this year. Doesn't matter to me, they are fabricating and welding!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        You must be a good teacher
                        I would be proud as well
                        Now get them to come on this forum and we will help you get them hooked for life!!!
                        And if your students see this thread...GOOD JOB DUDE!!!!!!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by countrydirt View Post
                          It is mounted through to the frame. A bit tricky getting the angle
                          I bet it was, at the same time, it was a nice learning curve for them. Look forward to seeing more projects the students put out, big or small.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
                            You must be a good teacher
                            I would be proud as well
                            Now get them to come on this forum and we will help you get them hooked for life!!!
                            And if your students see this thread...GOOD JOB DUDE!!!!!!!!
                            Not sure if I am a very good teacher, but I can get them to think (sometimes) Two of the boys are already enrolled (to go this fall) at Tulsa Welding School. I think they are hooked for life on welding, just not too sure about this internet thing.

                            I learn as much from them as they learn from me. I typically have to say, "Oh no, you did exactly what I told you, and it was wrong!"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by countrydirt View Post
                              Not sure if I am a very good teacher, but I can get them to think (sometimes) Two of the boys are already enrolled (to go this fall) at Tulsa Welding School. I think they are hooked for life on welding, just not too sure about this internet thing.

                              I learn as much from them as they learn from me. I typically have to say, "Oh no, you did exactly what I told you, and it was wrong!"
                              That is Hilarious!!! My son went there as well(TWS) and got "Top One"
                              Changed his life forever. He made $80,000+ last year welding on powerplants.
                              Tell them that they should not believe all their propoganda tho. They are there to make money not help the world, and they will spit yer @$$ out in a heartbeat and keep yer money!!! They will still have to start out at the bottom wherever they go as well. Running a pretty bead and working/making things can be 2 different things. They will need to become MEN
                              I wish there was more shop teachers out there like you ...HATS OFF!!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.