X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wireburner
    started a topic New Jacket,gloves,doo-rag

New Jacket,gloves,doo-rag

I ordered a new jacket, gloves, doo-rag from E-Bay it costed about $28 with tax, shipping , there are the Black Stallion Pack here is a link to it I ordered the All- American Packhttp://www.revcoindustries.com/catal...AT%20flyer.pdf should be here soon

• fun4now
    replied
    yep, just the last 1/2 of the final drop of steel in the bead.
    no, cleaning up the hole weld would weaken it considerable. a good part of its strangth is in the bead. thats why it should not be too small or large for that matter.
    i'm going out this morning to the shop and will try to get in a few stick welds so i can try AC. i have a lot of cleaning up befor i can do anything and i also have a slide that needs repaired and re-atached to the swingset. haveing a weld bead contest or show off secion is fun but i have to take care of the lil ones first.
    i'll post up some pic's if i get a chance to do any welding.

and no i wont cheat and TIG weld it, i would hope you all could tell the diference.

Leave a comment:

• weld_13
    replied
    O. I thought you ment like cleaning a whole bunch of it up. Now I get it

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied
    James is right, I've seen the pipefitters do that. Makes the whole weld seamless!

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    Bert James,
    Are you telling Weld13 he should start drinking??
    DON'T DO IT MAN!!! WHATEVER JAMES SAYS...DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!
    DON'T THROW YOUR LIFE AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    anyway....

defenetly not. sorry if it came out that way. it was the military that taught me to get myself under controle so i coould take my time to take the shot needed at the time insted of always rushing. drinking rarely lead to anything i would call forward progress. its realy all about self disiplin realy.
    as for grinding your welds being just to hide bad welds. i supose that is an option i am happy to see you are not taking. BUT there are times where its not about hiding, its about getting the proper hold and apearence.
    i'm not talking about taking out the hole bead just the front 1/2 of the very end to alow you to restart and backtrak a bit to get a good even restart. of you were still rinning on the first stick the front 1/2 of the bead would be multen, but as its a restart its all solid so taking out the leading edje just alows you to tie in cleaner.
    if you take a look at the pic i made it might make more scence, i hope. but its not about hiding a boo boo or bird poo its about making a clean join of old and new bead.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• weld_13
    replied
    yeh good point

Leave a comment:

• weld_13
    replied
    no we decided not to but am goin to go back sometime soon. I dont know about tomorrow soon cause was gonna see if could get some friends together but i might go tomorrow evening instead

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied
    sorry everyone, weld13, let's move this over to e-mail!!!

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied
    cool...oh wait, did you go fishing for catfish? catch any?

Leave a comment:

• weld_13
    replied
    Sounds great. Thanks. I'm have to call it a night soon its 12:47 am here

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied
    I'll look through my books this weekend, pick up one I think you'll like to start with, and get you a copy...ok?

Leave a comment:

• weld_13
    replied
    Yeh I have seen some stuff in books about the ripplin but it was back when I was startin from chicken poo not knowin what I was doin so I will have to check it out again.

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied
    don't need to grind the rod. 6011, just tap it lightly on the floor a couple times.
    answer my last post?

Leave a comment:

• weld_13
    replied
    From what I welded with I thought the 7018 was better for ripples but you sounded like you said I needed to improve on them. What I was refering to was grinding the rod after a bead or so. Personally I don't like grinding welds I find its a way of cheating and covering up all the stuff you screwed up in the bead or at the end. Just my $.o2

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied
    James,
    Are you telling Weld13 he should start drinking??
    DON'T DO IT MAN!!! WHATEVER JAMES SAYS...DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!
    DON'T THROW YOUR LIFE AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    anyway....

The "ripple" effect I think you're looking for is more using the 7018 rod. The 6011 rod shouldhave more of a fish scale appearance. Didn't any books you had show this? hmmm....
    you're too impatient to grind at the end of the welds, but you found strap at the side of the road a did a lot of work to prep it!!! I'm very impressed!!!
    Very resourceful!!!
    Let me know about the book thing...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X