Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aluminum grinder pedestal

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum grinder pedestal

With my small garage, benchtop space is at a premium. I made this pedestal one afternoon to get my grinder off the bench. 1/4 plate and 3" pipe, tigged.
    Attached Files

Nice job! Was that scrap you had lying around???

Comment

Got the materials on eBay fairly cheap. You can find some goods deals every now and then. I made it out of aluminum just cause I could and I wanted to polish it and have something different.

Comment

Bert, AL is cheaper than steel in some cases. Sure, it's 3x the price, but only 1/3 the weight. Volumetrically speaking - price per volume should be roughly identical (market factors influence this). You need thicker AL to handle the same job as steel - but often times the stuff we make is way overbuilt to begin with. Steel should be cheaper to use because you technically need less of it.

Using one of my suppliers online catalogs:

1x1x12" of 6061 AL is $8.82
        1x1x12" A36 HR steel is $9.40
        1x1x12" CR 1018 is $11.27

These prices include a $5 cut charge per.
        Last edited by Fishy Jim; 12-12-2008, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishy Jim View Post
          Bert, AL is cheaper than steel in some cases. Sure, it's 3x the price, but only 1/3 the weight. Volumetrically speaking - price per volume should be roughly identical (market factors influence this). You need thicker AL to handle the same job as steel - but often times the stuff we make is way overbuilt to begin with. Steel should be cheaper to use because you technically need less of it.

Using one of my suppliers online catalogs:

1x1x12" of 6061 AL is $8.82
          1x1x12" A36 HR steel is $9.40
          1x1x12" CR 1018 is $11.27

These prices include a $5 cut charge per.
          yeah Jim, but don't forget...they would KILL me on the shipping!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Bert, the comparisons should translate to your local suppliers. It's cheaper to ship AL as more of it (volume) can be loaded onto a ship for the same weight. Ever notice how a semi is at max load capacity long before the volume of area they have to use is consumed when hauling steel?

Comment

Jim,
              I think our aluminum flat stock comes in 12' lengths...find out what it cost you for 1/4"
              x 2" wide and I'll see what it'll cost me...ok?

Comment

http://www.discountsteel.com/

They're higher than most in the area, but they have a lot of drops due to the fab shop and cut to size service. I rarely have to consider paying full price on anything due to the volume of drops available.

Comment

Jim I certainly see you point and stainless ALWAYS blows me away for what you get vs what you pay
                  But man I work with aluminum almost exclusively....and when I need to use MILD steel for a project it floors me how much cheaper I can build things than with aluminum
                  Thats why I bought a new mig machine...all you guys fooling around with ferrous stuff was making me feel left out

Comment

FK, do you actually build to an engineered design, or is it seat of the pants material spec?

Like I said earlier, you need far less volume of steel to accomplish the same strength. So in common practice (build to design strength rather than volume), it is cheaper to use steel than AL. But, if volume is the only comparison (such as a heavy jig made of a solid chunk), AL is cheaper. You need more AL by volume than you do steel to achieve a specific load capacity. At the same strength, the AL will be much lighter than the steel (and will have cost you more).

Comment

FK, do you actually build to an engineered design, or is it seat of the pants material spec?

I'm not an engineer if that is what you are asking. Are you?(seriously) You came across quite condescending there. (what's up with that?) Do you need an "engineer" to design/approve everything you do before you can build it?
                      Just because a design is on a set of prints does not mean a engineer designed it. Believe me I know when I need to get the real engineers involved. In most of my work the "engineers" have usually fallen a little short and that's where I come in. Too many "engineers" don't know jack about using aluminum and don't factor in things like cycles and HAZ's. They try to use shortcuts and use steel welding techniques on aluminum. Maybe they need a little more "seat of the pants" experience.
                      BTW My father in law is an engineer, my son went 4 years to an engineering university (and has his masters and is presently working on his PHD) and one nephew is an engineer with his masters degree.

Like I said earlier, you need far less volume of steel to accomplish the same strength. So in common practice (build to design strength rather than volume), it is cheaper to use steel than AL. But, if volume is the only comparison (such as a heavy jig made of a solid chunk), AL is cheaper. You need more AL by volume than you do steel to achieve a specific load capacity. At the same strength, the AL will be much lighter than the steel (and will have cost you more).

I got what you said the first time, so you didn't need to repeat it.
                      Even on the link you just provided size for size, on the sizes I checked, aluminum was NOT cheaper but was almost the same or slightly higher. Big chunks too I don't think it (your link) is a very good way to compare the two anyway...comparing your best deals out there is the real world method. When I do that, for me, aluminum IS higher. In fact I don't recall a time aluminum was ever cheaper than steel.
                      But I do get what you are saying.
                      In my area steel is a good bit less than aluminum size for size. I get a very good price on new steel but I buy a LOT more weight of aluminum.
                      I wouldn't consider buying metal online unless it was very short pieces of an odd size. They always seem too high to me. I have 2 steel supliers within 5 miles of my shop that happen to be on the way to work. I use 2 aluminum suppliers that deliver to my shop and one of them runs a free truck delivery once a week.

Comment

Discount is one of at least 6 steel yards that are all about 5 miles from my house/shop. They simply have a retail online catalog which makes it easy to get rough prices when quoting. They were charging 3/lb for drops, while Garelick (a block away) was only charging 2.25. The difference is in what's available. Garelick doesn't have much variety in drops due to not having a sawing/cutting operation as part of their business. Garlick will deliver anything that they can put on a flatbed free; discount wants 60 bucks.

I have yard hook ups at Discount as well, so I don't pay retail on full sticks either and I typically get a scale "reduction" on my drops too.

Most everything I make is pretty small, so I don't buy high volume.

Comment

yeesh!!! You guys make me so jealous!!! Basically, we just have one shop that supplies aluminum....they got the market over here....I wish I could buy a container full of aluminum, (as would everyone), but renting a lot to store it,
                          organize it and such, with the cost of land over here, that's why we pay so much....sorry I forgot to call and get prices....I"ll try on Monday as they are closed tomorrow....
                          bert
                          p.s. and no, it's not on the way to work, but not too far away either...
                          with traffic, maybe 20 minutes away....

Comment

Discount is one of at least 6 steel yards that are all about 5 miles from my house/shop. They simply have a retail online catalog which makes it easy to get rough prices when quoting. They were charging 3/lb for drops, while Garelick (a block away) was only charging 2.25. The difference is in what's available. Garelick doesn't have much variety in drops due to not having a sawing/cutting operation as part of their business. Garlick will deliver anything that they can put on a flatbed free; discount wants 60 bucks.

I have yard hook ups at Discount as well, so I don't pay retail on full sticks either and I typically get a scale "reduction" on my drops too.

Most everything I make is pretty small, so I don't buy high volume.
                            We are not all that different...I have to use several places to work out my best deals, depending on size and availability and personality.
                            And Integrity has been a factor as well. With that said it is the warehouse with the biggest liars that I end up using the most because they have the extrusions I use the most and deliver for nothing... as opposed to the really helpful guys that use a local delivery truck that delivers everyday that costs me an extra $20 or so.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.