Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade BumpGate Opener/Bumber

Hello,
    I have a 98 Ford F-150 with no grill gaurd, my issue is that a ranch that I visit has bump gates. These are gates that you must bump with your vehicle in order to go through. when you hit them they swing open and you drive through. I don't want to invest in a grill gaurd, and was thinking of building a gadget that I could attach to my truck temporarily just for this purpose. Any help is greatly appreciated....keep up the good threads!

Sorry, couldn't help myself...
    Attached Files
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Comment

Good one...believe me, that's how I feel sometimes!!!

Comment

i would just make a simple bolt under push type. i got a bit caried away with mine, but it bolts on under the bumper and threw it as well. but if ya just want to add some thing to hit a gate, maybe atach a trailor 2" recever to the front that you can slide the push bumper into when needed and pull it out for other times. you could make a winch plate also to slide in. once the recever is in place the options are wide open.

HF sells a small bolt on reciever for like $11 i think it was.

my son helped with the design of mine, got a little caried away.
        Attached Files
        thanks for the help
        ......or..........
        hope i helped
        sigpic
        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
        JAMES

Comment

Strap an old tire to the front..........
          Nick
          Miller 252 Mig
          Miller Cricket XL
          Millermatic 150 Mig
          Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
          2-O/A outfits
          Jet Lathe and Mill
          Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
          DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
          Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
          20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
          Propane Forge
          60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
          Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
          and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Comment

nfinch86- Canadian Weldor :

Fun4now, Man you push some stuff around with that rig on the front of
            your truck !! Looks real good, gives me something to think about ??........ Norm :
            - Arcair- K 4000 CAC.
            - LN - 25
            - Lincoln Ranger 8
            -DeWalt Compressor

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

great advice everyone...thanks for the input. I think I'm going to bolt something on the frame and weld it together so it will pertrude through the bumper opening. I'll keep u guys posted. wish me luck!

Comment

Use a hitch socket and then you can easly slide in a L shaped bump bar when it is needed. Handy for moving trailers in tight spots too. `
                Weekend wannab racer with some welders.

Comment

i forgot to mention the ease of trailer moving with the front hitch, thanks Vicegrip

nfinch86 i have pushed a car or two with it.
                  i made it out of 10 or 12 gage, so the teeth are a lot stronger than they look. used a O/A torch to bend them into shape and a little spectrum 125 to cut the skull. the back lighting is hooked into the parking lights, so when i turn on the lights at night it shows up great.
                  i coated the hole thing with rubber bed liner ( similar to ryno-liner) so i have not had any trouble with scratches or rust. been on there for a few years now and still looks good as new.
                  you can get spray on bed liner at wally-world, great stuff, i also lined my lawn mower trailer with it. stuff works great, for $8 a can you cant beat the protection and you can paint over it.

JNH92 be shore to share some pic's when you Get-R-Done.
                  thanks for the help
                  ......or..........
                  hope i helped
                  sigpic
                  feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
                  summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                  JAMES

Comment

Thanks guys...you sure are full of ideas....I definately will share pics, when I get going....thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                      i forgot to mention the ease of trailer moving with the front hitch, thanks Vicegrip
                      Sorry got so busy looking at the pix I missed your recomendation in the text.
                      Weekend wannab racer with some welders.

Comment

Finished Product

Thanks guys for all the suggestions...here is what I came up with....tried it this past weekend and it worked perfect! Thanks again and love this site
                        Attached Files

Comment

LOL!!! COOL! SIMPLE AND EFFECTIVE!!!
                          How did you tie it in? the frame?
                          nice job
                          I'm not late...
                          I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

Yes, I drilled some holes on the pipe and bolted it onto the frame, it's an "L" shape underneath and it goes up to the frame.

Comment

That is a very nice design. It is subtle and does not take away from the looks of your truck. Sometimes less is more in my opinion.
                              Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X