Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

chop/cut off saw

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have both the Milwaukee and Ridgid 14" chop saws. My experience is oilfield.

The Ridgid is way better.

Comment

I saw one at my hd the other day that was a dewalt and had the quick adjust cutting angle which may be what you bought. I looked at it and it had a d handle, quick change angle(lever instead of bolt like on milwalkee) and the rebate option for a free4 1/2 inch grinder. I dont know if it was just the display but the guard seemed to be kinda of well...underbuilt because it didnt have a spring like i believe the milwalkees do and kinda of floppy and the quick adjust was loose which may have just needed adjustment. I know the main thing is it was a display. thanks sorry for the long message

Comment

DeWalt chop saws are really good, that floor model was probably broken, but I'm surprised the spring didn't work or wasn't on there! Watch out for free grinders! I bought 100 grinding disks and you get a free bosch 4-1/2" grinder with it...Didn't realize till I got home it was their smaller one (5.5amp). I like 7amps or more...I use this one for sanding, since it takes too long to grind...

Comment

Did you ever think about getting a dry cold cut chop saw.Had an abrasive chop saw years ago and it work great until I seen the difference in a cold cut saw.Don't have all the sparks to deal with,the blade always stays 14",the piece that you cut comes free of burs and its cool to touch.Difinitly something to think about.

Comment

Do you think you can point me in the right d******** as to where to get a dry/cold cut chop saw? I looked at dewalts website and didnt find any. I know there are other manufactures that make them just didnt know which to look at. Thanks

Comment

Hmm for some reason millers servers are blocking out a word that was fine? Maybe i spelt it wrong and it thought it was something else.

Comment

I agree with the idea of looking at dry-cut saw instead of the abrasive blade. More accurate, quieter, smoother cuts, smaller kerf, no hideous smoke. Downside is the increased upfront $.

I think the increased productivity, flexibility, and comfort will more than make up for the extra $.

I looked at the Milwaukee and a few others before settling on the Hitachi CD14F. The hinge just felt much beefier (no slop) and Hitachi has always been killer industrial grade gear in my experience and by reputation.

http://www.hitachipowertools.com/sto...h=1,11,57,p145,

Chris

Comment

The free grinders in the offer are the new 10A 4.5" versions - I already have 4 of them, so I'll be getting the extra blade.

Having used the multi-cutter on some 3/16" 4" square (12 cuts), I do like it better than a chop saw, but it's still not as accurate as a good band saw. The speed it slices at is great and the lack of a nasty edge is also excellent. I imagine on smaller stock (what I purchased it to do - primarily) it will be a dream machine.

Comment

Originally posted by weld_13 View Post
                    Do you think you can point me in the right d******** as to where to get a dry/cold cut chop saw? I looked at dewalts website and didnt find any. I know there are other manufactures that make them just didnt know which to look at. Thanks
                    Go back to the dewalt products site and under their metalworking section click on multi-cut saw and it brings up the picture with all the info.the model number is dw872.

Comment

So whats the trick to the saw blades? Could you not just use one on a miter box or ordinary chop saw?

Comment

Originally posted by weld_13 View Post
                        So whats the trick to the saw blades? Could you not just use one on a miter box or ordinary chop saw?
                        its a slower rpm

Comment

What i think would be cool is to try using one of those blades on a variable speed table saw.

Comment

What i think would be cool is to try using one of those blades on a variable speed table saw
                            I think that would be dangerous! I got the steelmax chop saw for $500 and got a free blade (almost $100 value) at the tent sale...
                            I LOVE IT! Better than the RIDGED abrasive saw I got for $200. Price was worth it! I bought the model before they made the quick release , but I'm much happier with the steelmax (www.steelmax.com). Very little burs, touch it almost immediately, cuts VERY true angles with now curve/blade flexing...
                            bert

Comment

If you do go with the dry-cut saw you might want to consider buying a spare blade at the same time. That way you'll always have a blade on-hand while the other is out for sharpening. You might be able to swing a good deal if you buy a spare at the same time.

Keep in mind that how you use the saw will greatly determine blade life. A light hand may get you hundreds of good cuts but one jam fed cut could have you sweeping carbide teeth off of the floor and then being forced to scrap the blade.

Tenryu makes some great blades including one for stainless.
                              http://www.tenryu.com/

BTW - *Please* don't try the table saw idea. That sounds like a Darwin award-winning experiment!

C.

Comment

Yeh but it would be cool to try if it worked. Although there is ruining that nice table saw

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.