Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drill press stand and a weld on clamp

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill press stand and a weld on clamp

I am kinda short on space to work and store stuff. From what I have read here I am not the only one in this situtation. Maybe this will help someone maybe not. If so I'm glad an idea or part of an idea could help someone.

Yup right in front of the wash sink. Like I said I am cramped.

This seems to work pretty good so far. After I made the base and the hinge I decided that this may be a decent place for my drill bits. So I found some scrap sheet metal and a couple pieces of angle and this is what I came up with. After bending the sheet metal I decided that having a break would make short work out of what I spent way to long doing. I know the paint job is poor at best but its painted for now. Also no I did not run out of paint for the drawer, I thought it may be less of a pain in the rear then trying to find bits in a black drawer.

Here is the weld on clamp I threw together in a rush. I promise the next one will be a little nicer. It worked exllent for those times the work is away from the edge of the table.

Now I know that someone will catch the fact that its just sitting there and not welded down, but i had to set it somewhere to take the pics. The next one I make needs to be heaver in the rear since it wants to tip foward if the screw isnt down on the table.

Comment

You think you're cramped. I have just enough space to stand in front of my bench; about 18" of depth.

I've got a benchtop sitting on my table taking up lots of space.
      Last edited by tasslehawf; 11-30-2008, 11:31 PM.

Comment

nfinch86- Canadian Weldor :

Tom37, Hi; I like the idea that the drill swings out of the way.Nice Job!!
        As far as the Clamp goes is your bench steel?? If it is Place the clamp where you want it and put a good sized Tack on the FRONT of the Base it will hold fine. When you are done pry the Back of the base up to break it off!!
        By the way what prosess did you use to weld the base on to the clamp??
        Nice piece of WELDIN !!!..... Norm :

Comment

Thanks Norm. I fib about one thing, and thats when wife my says she has a headace and I tell her i dont mind at all. Now honestly I do mind but what the heck is me complaining gona help? So I fib and hope she dont feel bad!

So I am almost embarresed to say but it was welded with .030 flux core (Lincon I think) with a measly 120 amps behind it. Now please dont ask what brand welder cause I will have to hide my head and tell ya its from china. But it was the first that I bought and since I didnt know squat about welding I didnt know any better. I keep it filled with flux and I put a 12 foot gun on it and just leave it for when I work outside on a windy day.

My intension was to weld the clamps with 7018 but the welder was on the cart in the back of the garage. So I gambled and used the flux wire. I figured if it worked for the orginal purpose with out breaking then thats great. So far it has held and I have no intension of using it over head. I cant get the spell checker to work so I'm sorry for any typos I have made.
          Last edited by tom37; 12-02-2008, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tom37 View Post
            Thanks Norm. I fib about one thing, and thats when wife my says she has a headace and I tell her i dont mind at all. Now honestly I do mind but what the heck is me complaining gona help? So I fib and hope she dont feel bad!

So I am almost embarresed to say but it was welded with .030 flux core (Lincon I think) with a measly 120 amps behind it. Now please dont ask what brand welder cause I will have to hide my head and tell ya its from china. But it was the first that I bought and since I didnt know squat about welding I didnt know any better. I keep it filled with flux and I put a 12 foot gun on it and just leave it for when I work outside on a windy day.

My intension was to weld the clamps with 7018 but the welder was on the cart in the back of the garage. So I gambled and used the flux wire. I figured if it worked for the orginal purpose with out breaking then thats great. So far it has held and I have no intension of using it over head. I cant get the spell checker to work so I'm sorry for any typos I have made.
            Tom, Hi ; Nice work for a beginner or veteran weldor!!
            How do you like welding with Flux-core, I must admit It's not my favorite, straight steel wire .030 0r .035 on my Lincoln 180 is my preference!!PS. try tacking the Clamp on the Table as I pointed out earlier!!!...... Norm :

Comment

Evening Norm, I missed a day checking the board. I am trying to teach myself a basic cad program and it consumes time something terriable

Comment

OK I know my spelling is poor but OMG I lost half my post there somehow.

Here goes again. I did try the clamp Norm and it worked well. Came right off also, just a little tip and tug. I do like the flux for outdoors, but I would rather stay away from the thin stuff with it. It seems that I see I am running a little hot and WOOPPPP I burn thru. I look foward to the day I can run beads like you all, with minimal effort.

Tom

Comment

Tom, Good Morning; I'm getting ready to start my day here in the Great White North, it's -11c as we speak or a warm 8F. Anyway I'm glad it worked for you !! Like anything in Life if you enjoy it, you'll get better all the time. I've got more than 40yrs. in this Trade I LOVE so much !! I go to bed just so I can hurry and get up again !! All the Best to you, and have a Merry Christmas !!!..... Norm : PS. If you have a hard time getting it off, the Clamp that is, take a cutting wheel on a small 4.5" grinder to it !!
                  Last edited by nfinch86; 12-05-2008, 03:41 AM.

Comment

Howdey Norm glad to hear the weather is doable. . Dont forget the shades cause it seems those cool days generate nice sunlight. Just so ya know I am way jealous, I love the snow, alot. Here in the midwest we probally get the same snow all year that you get in 1 or 2 storms.

Have a good one and stay safe!

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tom37 View Post
                      Howdey Norm glad to hear the weather is doable. . Dont forget the shades cause it seems those cool days generate nice sunlight. Just so ya know I am way jealous, I love the snow, alot. Here in the midwest we probally get the same snow all year that you get in 1 or 2 storms.

Have a good one and stay safe!

Tom
                      I saw that in your welding table post, really like some of the ideas you came up with.

.................................................. .

tom37

not sure where you are at in the "midwest" but here in omaha (called the midwest as well), we see at least 2-3 storms each winter that laydown 2-3 feet of snow each, our iwnters are 5-6 months long on average and then it stays so darn cold it doesn't go away until summer.. I'd be happy to not see ANY snow for at least 7-10 years LOL

Comment

turboglenn

not sure where you are at in the "midwest"

I just updated my profile. I guess I missed the where I live field the first time.

I'm in Independence Mo. East of the sports complex. Dont get me wrong, we get snow alright, just not much of it and the cold we have Sucks. Above freezing 10 or 15 degrees is ok and below freezing is ok to. But I hate the way we get it, just right there on the edge causing alot of freezing rain. I just dont know what I would do if I woke up and saw 10 + inchs of new snow.

Comment

we are pretty close tom.......you must be by the Blue Ridge Mall. I'm in Raymore. .....Nick

Comment

NOt to get OT (at least too much) but Tom37 and monte55, you guys are close enough that we could have a "weldor's BBQ" sometime and get a few people from the forum together.

I have an employee that lives in St. Joeseph, MO. And he drives up and down all summer long for work, so i could definitely make it anywhere some one has a large smoker setup (I haven't built one YET...so i'm still on propane )

Comment

There's always time for a BBQ. Although late spring or early summer is probally better then the next few months. Still sounds like a great idea tho.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.