Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tool list

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool list

Hey y'all

Since I'm heading out west in the next few months I'm just looking to get a few ideas for tools. I already have started getting some together. Obviously a tape measure, torpedo level, scribe, regular 24'' level etc etc . But I'm looking for tools you guys would find most valuable to remove and make the job a bit easier to get done. I'm open to any ideas and am willing to get a bigger tool box. So please feel free to enlighten me and my fellow apprentices and please give us a tool list.

It depends what you will be doing.

Comment

WD-40 and Duct tape.

Is there anything else anyone could possibly need

Comment

Helps to know what kind of work you'll be doing or what your using to do the work. We could give you a list a mile long.

Small Tap & Die set, screw and bolt extractors, numerous pliers for bending or cutting your electrodes, aluminum & brass wire brushes, grinder and plenty of wheels including flap wheels, fine point picks.

Comment

Flap wheels, grinders, etc...Please let us know what you are doing..

Comment

Originally posted by jweller View Post
            WD-40 and Duct tape.

JB weld and a BFH BIG F%$&ing Hammer Just kidding LOL Jim

Comment

Welpers, wire brushs, chipping hammer, spare lenses for the welding hood, spares for the grind shield. Assorted hand tools always a good idea, screw drivers and pliers, beyond that for me its just pack for all possible conditions. cool weather and hot weather.

Good luck,
              Paul

Comment

Ten pound single jack with a short handle, bull pin, spud wrenches (5/8-1 1/4), slever bar, bolt bags, hard hat, fall protection harness, welding hood with hard hat rig, arctic clothing good to -45F, and lunch.
                Pay is only $19.08 + $8.08 PH for a first year, #32.29 + 19.08 PH for a foreman.

But you only need this list if you want to do real work
                Last edited by FATFAB; 11-29-2008, 12:45 PM.

Comment

nfinch86- Canadian Weldor :

Originally posted by FATFAB View Post
                  Ten pound single jack with a short handle, bull pin, spud wrenches (5/8-1 1/4), slever bar, bolt bags, hard hat, fall protection harness, welding hood with hard hat rig, arctic clothing good to -45F, and lunch.
                  Pay is only $19.08 + $8.08 PH for a first year, #32.29 + 19.08 PH for a foreman.

Sounds Like you are one Chilly IronWorker!!! It's Cold enough here in Ontario!!.. Lots of Luck!!!......... Norm :

Comment

A big garbage can, Hammer, screwdriver that doubles as a chisel, Duct tape like someone said earlier, band aids, fire extinguisher and a fridge to hold all of your beer.

Comment

If you got to buy anything, do it when you get there and just what you need.
                      No need to take to much, the stuff will grow legs, if you know what I mean.
                      Parking at a sleep over(motel) is risky at night, you might get cleaned out.

Comment

Originally posted by jweller View Post
                        WD-40 and Duct tape.

you said it all

Comment

a leatherman and a log of Copenhagan....

and some toilet paper

Comment

Originally posted by master_apprentice View Post
                            Hey y'all

Since I'm heading out west in the next few months I'm just looking to get a few ideas for tools. I already have started getting some together. Obviously a tape measure, torpedo level, scribe, regular 24'' level etc etc . But I'm looking for tools you guys would find most valuable to remove and make the job a bit easier to get done. I'm open to any ideas and am willing to get a bigger tool box. So please feel free to enlighten me and my fellow apprentices and please give us a tool list.
                            Ironworker apprentice?

12" Crescent wrench(aka adjustable aka wescott) or 16" Crescent spud
                            Leatherman tool
                            Pocket knife
                            25' or 30' tape measure
                            Pen, pencil, soapstone, permanent marker
                            Small notepad

Comment

Artic Temp IW

Originally posted by FATFAB View Post

-45F?!? How do you bolt up(or anything else LOL) at -45F? Your gloves must have 3" of insulation top and bottom. Wow... What Local are you out of?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.